Monday, September 1, 2008

No Play For Mr. Gray

I suppose it's time to talk about the date with Patrick.

Patrick was a few minutes early. Good. Insisting on casual dress, he showed up in white tennis shoes, khaki cargo shorts, a khaki Adidas ball cap, and a wrinkled burgundy Ralph Lauren T-shirt. Wrinkles secretly annoy me, and I personally would not show up for a first date in a wrinkled shirt. He wasn't unattractive, but I was not feeling attracted to him.

I had to make the decisions regarding where we went. I had tried to get him to participate in the decision making process to no avail, and since I was STARVING, I gave up and took the reins.

We went to a Mexican restaurant in town. "Help me out here, what should I get?" Seriously? I have to order your dinner too? He didn't need me to help him order his Budweiser, which he seemed to be drinking every time I ever spoke with him.

"I'm missing the Michigan Game for you." Wow. Don't be afraid to go catch the rest of it. He was thrilled to be sitting facing the T.V.!

Of course I was responsible for the after dinner activity as well. I had made some calls and found a bowling alley that was open. I hadn't bowled in awhile and figured if I had to go on a first date in shorts with a guy in a wrinkled shirt... bowling would be the appropriate grand finale. I beat him the last game! He's an ex high school jock, so losing to a girl, even at 42, stings like a gravel filled abrasion on the knee.

We came back to my house and were chatting in the dining room. I had walked into the living room and was turning around when he approached me.

"Let me know when I am overstaying my welcome" he said as he slithered towards me. Once I realized he was attempting to kiss me, I shrieked, "Oh! No!" and walked into the kitchen.

"Rejected." He says.

"Oh, that's one of my favorite commercials! 'No play for Mr. Gray!" Apparently he took that personally.

"I better go."

Nice.

1 comment:

Anon said...

Shaking my head in utter disbelief...