Thursday, September 4, 2008

Let the Rain Fall...


Finally, the rain has come. My grass is as dried up as my hopes for a job, so the rain is a very welcome surprise. Although the dreary weather doesn't do much for my state of mind, it does bode well for a day of relaxation.

I spent the afternoon chatting with Manus again. He's my mystery Internet friend from Ireland. He has been working overtime to pay for a ticket to the U.S.... to visit me! I'm romantic at heart and am fascinated with a good love story, but I'm not sure how open my mind is to love thousands of miles away! What I am sure of, is that I enjoy his mind, and his "company" while I am trying to find my way in life. He has been my volunteer cheerleader during the disappointments and uncertainty and saves me from squandering my day away with atrocious afternoon T.V. He's mentioned wanting to read my blog, but I'm not sure that I should allow it. My goal with this blog was to be completely free and honest, as an experiment with life and the mind. I fear that I might feel pressure to mention him or edit things I may not want him to know. So for now... I'm not going to allow it.

During our chat, the mailman came and I opened my electric bill. It is mysteriously ONE HUNDRED dollars more expensive than my regular bill. I was trying to make sense of it, and somehow, according to their calculations, I've managed to use a third of the amount of electricity that I used in nine months... in one. Unless alien spaceships are secretly plugging in their hybrid crafts at my place to recharge... I'm being flim-flammed! I immediately went through the house and unplugged anything that was still plugged in. This isn't going to be good on the budget!

One ray of light in the gloomy sky: I got a call from the unemployment office to meet with "Gail" who will be handling my case to pursue further education in hopes of finding a job. I'm looking forward to what she has to say. I'd really be thrilled to find a job that utilizes my creative monster inside... but there is a reason "starving artist" is a cliche description. My original plan, prior to the unemployment disaster, was to get a decor business going and write. I had planned to sock away money while I got both ventures off the ground and then cut my ties to working for "the man" permanently. Losing my job unexpectedly put a big kibash on that one!

"Find something you love to do and get paid for it. Then you'll never work another day in your life." That's my dream...

2 comments:

Anon said...

You may not want advice from an electrician who damn near killed himself this week, but...

it wouldn't hurt to read the meter yourself. Gas company mis-read a dial on mine once and I got charged two months in advance. Course I had nothing to pay the next month as it looked like I GAVE them gas!

Anon said...

I would give Gavin DeGraw's "I'm In Love With A Girl" a good listen...