Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Freeze


Just got off the phone with my caseworker for DHS. She was following up our visit last week.

"You are allotted $10 a month. I know that isn't much, but it will help."

"And I appreciate any help I receive. I'm doing everything I can to change this and I'm grateful that I have never been in this position before. What about health insurance premiums? Do those count? I noticed a sign-up event for health care... should I be looking into that?" I ask.

"Well, you don't have any kids and you are single. There is a freeze on the program that would help you. The state simply doesn't have any more money to fund it."

Looks like if I don't find a job, I might have to get myself knocked up. What is going on!?!? I'm currently paying $94 a month for a health and dental insurance plan. I bought the coverage less than 30 days before I lost my job... not knowing I was going to lose it of course. Do I risk not having insurance to save that money?

"Didn't you say your unemployment is about to run out?" Asks my caseworker.

"Yes, I have eight weeks left."

"Well in the event that that happens, your food allowance will go up."

Really? Well, I'll be buying ready to eat food if that happens because I'll be losing my house and won't have a kitchen to store or prepare food in!

No comments: