Friday, September 12, 2008

The Epic Interview

Had my interview at the roof company today at 11:00 a.m. I had transposed the travel time and the miles, so instead of arriving 10-15 minutes early, I was only 4 minutes early. I about shit once I realized what I did, and hit the gas pedal! My mind was racing! What if I'm late? What if the construction is bad? What if I get pulled over? DAMN'T!!!



Thank God I made it!



The office is in a large warehouse they converted into a showroom. Nice place. Clean and well organized. Filled out the application. Can I tell you how much I HATE filling out applications?! I absolutely, positively, vehemently hate filling out applications. I've filled out over 20 of them in the last eight weeks. I mean, I like myself, but I don't care to write my own name and address 20 times. Nor, my prior work history. It's on my resume kids! So inefficient! What a waste of time, paper and ink!

Anyway... Jim came out and introduced himself. I had been warned that he was a talker, and OH MY GOD can this guy talk! Thankfully, he was rather interesting and personable, so I was oblivious to that fact that my interview took three hours and fifty minutes! That had better count for something! If I get hired, I might add that to my time sheet! Jim and I got along very well and I was quite impressed with a few things:

1. The company is a leader in the industry.

2. The company is rapidly growing.

3. Jim says he's looking for someone smarter than him that isn't afraid to tell him something isn't working.

4. Jim thinks woman are geniuses.

5. My hours and pay would be negotiable.

6. They reward weekly bonuses.

7. Holidays off.

8. "This is an opportunity for someone like yourself to make their own path."

9. "We like to have fun here."

10. The materials are "green," which means sales will increase as "green" building becomes the norm.

Jim had another person show up for an interview. He made a point to tell me that it is for a different position. I'm assuming that was a good sign. I was itching to ask if there was an employee discount offered, since I am definitely in need of a new roof. I thought better of it though! Jim has asked me to call on Monday with any questions I might have and to allow him to get a feel for how my telepone demeanor is. I have to say that I was very surprised with the position and had initially considered not even going to the interview. Now, I have a very open mind about it. Just goes to show that you never know until you give something a chance.

3 comments:

Anon said...

My smartass take on the subject:

1. The company is a leader in the industry.

They are so large, in fact, that corporate micormanages the local store...

2. The company is rapidly growing.

In another 3 years there will be a "bust" with a glut of employees and no customers. Only the strong (or best ass-kissers) will survive.

3. Jim says he's looking for someone smarter than him that isn't afraid to tell him something isn't working.

He can't do his job. He's looking for a fall-guy to take over his mess and take the blame.

4. Jim thinks woman are geniuses.

He's pussy-whipped, and can't stop thinking about your ass. That's why he can't do his job.

5. My hours and pay would be negotiable.

Feel free to make your request. Any request. Sky's the limit. Corporate's still gonna give you $7 on the graveyard shift.

6. They reward weekly bonuses.

Every week you get more "comp time" for busting your ass in overtime.

7. Holidays off.

God I hope so. Who schedules a carpet job on Hanukuk anyway? Goyim!

8. "This is an opportunity for someone like yourself to make their own path."

We really don't have a job description for your position. You're on your own, babe... Nice ass btw!

9. "We like to have fun here."

Nice ass!

10. The materials are "green," which means sales will increase as "green" building becomes the norm.

We're tree huggin' fern fairies, but would you rather work with a bunch of Bible-thumpin' rednecks from the NRA?

Kidding aside, sounds like a great place to work. I've just read one too many Dilbert strips...and had one too many to drink...

I should drink more often...I come outta myslef~!

~Scott

Mona Lake said...

You... are hilarious. Nice to see you come out of your"slef"... how's that beer tastin'? ;)

Anon said...

One Jack & Coke tall...with about three shots in it...

(the bartender knows me as a good tipper...it pays!!!)

And two generous shots of Johnnie Walker Black as the nite progressed.

I think they call Jack, Johnnie and Captain "The Three Wisemen" for a reason. I've not been this simultaneously lucid and drunk in my life...and I didn't even touch Cap'n!