Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Early Bird Gets the Worm?


Determination. Unlike money and patience, it's something I haven't been running out of. I got up this morning, before my alarm went off, made myself a nice breakfast and flew out the door. Yes, I did get dressed.

I went downtown to the non-profit organization to personally deliver my resume and cover letter. On the required "fancy paper" of course. My only regret is that I didn't try just a little harder to determine who it would be reviewed by. I had searched the phone book twice for a listing. More focused on the "early bird gets the worm" theory, I decided "To Whom It May Concern" was less important than an early morning, right as the doors open entrance. A nice lady greeted my at the reception desk. When I explained that I was dropping off a resume, she seemed a bit confused. Uh-oh. Fate. Going to have to trust it with this one...

I've got to get some things off my chest:

Job searching in a jobless state with a troubled economy is EXHAUSTING, discouraging, depressing, redundant, boring, tedious, and expensive. I never ever ever want to go through this again! Have you price checked resume paper and envelopes lately? Gas? Ink Cartridges? Internet services? I'm wondering if this isn't tax deductible! I mean, aside from self-pity, let's look at reality! I DON'T HAVE A JOB! How am I to fund my quest? I have a warning on my printer "Your blank ink cartridge is low!" No shit? So is my bank balance!!!!

What more can I do? I think short of offering to screw some bald fat guy with a tight dress shirt for work... I'm doing everything possible to secure employment. I finished my degree to make myself officially more desirable. I search job postings online and in the paper daily. I fax customized resumes and cover letters, or deliver them in person when an address is available. I answer my phone when I don't recognize the phone number. I put on my best professional-yet-approachable clothes when I visit a workplace. After at least 30 submissions, I've received ONE call for an interview.

A friend of mine and I were talking about this Saturday. He works for a large company and told me that he had 140 responses to an add for a position that paid $8 an hour. About 70% of those that applied had Master's degrees. This is how desperate we are for work here!

No comments: