Monday, September 1, 2008

The Current State of Mona

It's Monday night. The end of the holiday weekend. Friday was spent doing housework and sitting in the sun. Saturday was date night. Sunday I was a complete waste as I was feeling very ill. Today, I grilled burgers,brats and sweet corn for my aunt, cousin and mother, and made potato salad. Mother brought baked beans, and my aunt brought tomato salad and peach cobbler. We enjoyed a scrumptious meal, followed by a few games of Yahtzee. It was so nice to spend time entertaining family. Something I wish I could do more of.

I sent a resume and cover letter by fax to an OB/GYN office position and then located an HR Assistant position with a non-profit organization in town. I would LOVE to work for a non-profit. I could care less about the pay. It wouldn't be less than my current income, and I find helping others to be extremely rewarding. I have decided to take my resume and cover letter in personally tomorrow morning. Call me crazy, but a voice was telling me to take it in. I kept considering faxing it and the voice kept insisting. I decided to listen.

In Friday's mail, I received my letter from the Department of Human Services regarding my food assistance application. They are allowing me $10. I'm not sure what the going rate is for Ramen Noodles, but I doubt $10 will provide one month's worth. Unemployment runs out in 8 weeks. Something needs to give. Soon.

A small but beautiful surprise occurred when I was home alone after my dud date with Patrick. I had Sirius Channel 21 on and a song caught my ear. It was "You Don't Know Me" by Ben Folds and Regina Spektor. I decided it MUST be on my other MySpace page and looked up Ben. What a musical genius he is! "The Luckiest" has to be one of the most moving love songs I have ever heard, and "The Bitch Went Nutz" is just plain righteous! I shot him a few crazed emails and he wrote back!!! I'm going to a show in October!!! YES!

To summarize the Current State of Mona... I haven't given up. I'm taking life as it comes and still busting my ass to try and change my circumstances. I am putting myself out there for education, work, dating, and joy. Something inside me tells me that a new opportunity is on its way... but the black-and-white logic driven part of my brain is mildly anxious. I'm clinging to balance. Maintaining balance in all dynamics of life is the key to surviving. When I have a bad day, I try very hard to make the next a good one. I had a good day today. Let's shoot for two in a row!

2 comments:

Anon said...

Not all the voices in your head are crazy!

Good choice of delivery.

Good choice of music too. Curiosity got me and I had to check out the artists and song. Unique and catchy. Love it!

Mona Lake said...

Thank you for the reminder! I've got to mind the voices!

Glad you dig Ben! I'm an instant number one fan!