Monday, November 10, 2008

Tis the Season?


Although I still have an imaginary "Do Not Disturb" sign on my front door, I did decide on housekeeping today. The housekeeper being me. I ran the carpet cleaner around the piano where dirt had been tracked in from the move, and cleaned the "high traffic" areas. I've got to say that having a carpet cleaner on hand has got to be one of the best investments I ever made. The cost of it after a discount and sale price was less than $100. One professional cleaning costs that much! The cleaning solution itself is about $10. The convenience: priceless!

As I've been cleaning, I have been tempted to get out the Christmas tree and decorations. But, now I have this piano in the dining room... where shall I put the tree? This is rather puzzling! My tree is a fat one! An 8 ft. tall fake blue spruce. A few weeks ago, I was thinking about not putting it up at all to save money... but the spirit of Christmas will be that much more important to me this year. Not having one would surely encourage the blues.

The cable guy will be here tomorrow between 10 a.m. and noon. Nice to have a reason to have to get up. I'd really like to ditch the cable service altogether, but spending so much time at home, and with winter approaching, I'm going to hold on to it just a bit longer.

I heard from a director regarding a volunteer position. He's going to send me an application. Great! Another form! Perhaps I should offer myself for hire as a "Professional Form Filler-Outer!" After some 160 resumes, cover letters, financial assistance forms, and job applications... I think I have credentials!

The unemployment office left me a message regarding "training you could add as a credential to your resume." She didn't say what it was exactly, but I'll take the opportunity. Learning new things is enjoyable, and with the failing economy and job market, I need any "edge" I can get.

Local news reported that DHL is cutting its domestic service. More jobs down the tubes. More people looking for work... will it ever end?

Wednesday I am driving to the neighboring city to apply for a position at a packaging factory. Factory work is definitely not for me. I'm a people person. But, the pay is $14.46 an hour, and ANY job is a good job these days. They are only hiring ten people. I bet it will be a mad house there. I'm going early... hoping to get the "worm."

I'm holding out for a Christmas miracle: a job. That's all I want for Christmas. Well, actually, I'd like it to arrive sometime between now and Thanksgiving! Do you hear me, Santa?

No comments: