Saturday, November 8, 2008

Joys of Job Hunting


I'm still in the midst of my exhausting job search. I've lost track of how many positions I have actually applied for, but my estimated guess is 160. I applied for five positions this week, and updated my resume and cover letter with Kraft Foods. Their site offers a "Job Shopper" feature to alert you when jobs that fit your criteria become available.

Job Shopper sent me a message!

I open it.

It reads...

"Dear Mona,

Thank you for using Kraft's Personal Job Shopper service. We have matched up the following positions with your job search criteria:

Sorry, No jobs were found based on your Personal Job Shopper settings. "


Hilarious.

What's the point of that?

I also scheduled a meeting with the unemployment office on Wednesday. Leaving no stone unturned, I figured it couldn't hurt!

"It's just soooo slow. We aren't getting anything (job postings). I was hoping that once the election was over that things would pick up. I'm sorry. There just aren't any jobs. Nobody is hiring."

Really?

Well, the election results had been in less than twelve hours. Considering every employer is laying off staff or shutting their doors permanently, I highly doubt they had a staff waiting in the wings at midnight to magically post new jobs contingent upon the president elect!

My financial and mental states require that I find a job... and fast! This urgency has led me to loosen my job standards and apply for some less desirable positions. I've worked since the age of 15, with my longest gap in between jobs being two weeks, until this point. I love to work! And I love paying bills easily even more!

Thursday, I received a call from the unemployment office. Is this good news?!

A job?!

Nope.

She just wanted to check on my "No Worker Left Behind" status. You can choose job assistance or tuition assistance. Well, there are no jobs to be assisted in getting, and classes don't begin until January. Limbo. I'm in it.

"You have an excellent resume."

Really? Jenny Craig didn't think so! Seriously! I sent a resume and cover letter into Jenny fuckin Craig, and got a "thank you for your interest, but we won't be selecting you as a candidate" email in less than 24 hours. Well, Jenny, I'll have you know that my Bachelor's of Science with concentrations in Health, Physical Education, and English, combined with my I.Q. being considerably above 40... make me qualified enough for at least an interview! Are you afraid Valerie Bertinelli and I won't get along because I never thought Eddie Van Halen was cute?

What gives?

No comments: