Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thursday's Lowdown


The local news reported that 446 people applied Wednesday to the 10 jobs available at the packaging company. I'll be in "round two's" line tomorrow morning. So that makes at least 447 applicants. According to my calculations, that means I have a 2% chance of getting hired.

I located an ad for experienced bartenders at a renovated bar in town. The neighborhood is a little sketchy, so safety would be of concern, however, with my food & beverage industry experience, I have extraordinarily higher odds of getting hired there. I did really enjoy bartending, and in a good spot, the money is phenomenal. But, is this a "good" spot? I had sworn off ever returning to this industry... however, I NEED money!

So tonight, in order to put my best face forward, I touched up my roots. I'll be in the long, winding line of desperation for the packaging factory jobs from around 8 a.m.-noon, then driving back to town to apply for the bartending job between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. I'd love to have some kind of encouraging news by the end of the day. Even just an interview! Something! Hope! I need hope!

No comments: