Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The "Depression" Has Hit!


A packaging factory in nearby city placed an ad for employment on the Talent Bank website, and in the local paper. They are filling TEN positions. To apply for these positions you have to be registered on the Talent Bank (check), print a copy of your Talent Bank resume (check) and go to the unemployment office today 12:00-3:30 (check) or Friday 9-noon. Okay!

So, yesterday I printed my resume and cover letter on my expensive premium resume paper and placed them in the matching premium paper envelope. I left early this morning, hoping to beat the crowd.

Depressing. The site of that building was absolutely depressing. Despite my early arrival, there were already HUNDREDS of people in a line that wrapped around the building. Cars were parked everywhere, and more were hopelessly twirling around the lot and surrounding streets. I found one of the last semi-illegal, and definitely ticketable spots, and walked toward the masses in the chilly drizzle, hoping my fancy papers didn't get ruined before I had the opportunity to present them.

These people were from all walks of life: young, old, white, black, hispanic, scruffy, tidy, male, female... but the looks on their faces were all the same. Desperate. And I was just one more face in the crowd.

I walked to the end of the line, only to overhear that they will not accept your own printed copy of your resume. You had to go inside and print it on their computer. It's exactly the same resume you print off of your home computer! What? I went inside, snaked through the masses and found an open computer. Once I turned in the resume, I was told that they were not accepting any more applicants today. They had to cut people off at 11:00 a.m. I could not enter today's line. I now have to wait until Friday morning... when it will be even colder standing in that never-ending line of desperation.

My time, gas, paper, printer ink... all wasted. This all costs money. I need money, I do not need to spend it! I was prepared. I was early. I was desperate. And, I was... turned away.

Frustrated and discouraged, I got in the car and drove back home. On my way, I stopped at a grocery store that I had heard was hiring. Yep. A grocery store. There was only one cashier and no exterior office, so I patiently waited in the check-out lane to ask for an application.

"I'm sorry. We ran out of applications. They did take the sign down, but I'm not sure if that means they aren't taking any more. Check back in a couple days."

Sigh.

Back home I go...

No comments: