Monday, November 17, 2008

Hallelujah!

I JUST got a call for a telephone interview with the local college. The position is only part-time, but I'd be more than thrilled to have a job! Another bonus: it's a five-minute drive from home. My interview isn't until December 3rd, but it's the first offer for an interview that I've received since September!

Unfortunately, it's been so long since I applied that I do not recall what the pay rate is. I sent in my resume, cover letter and application on October 18th. Jobs are so few and far between that employers literally receive hundreds of applications, and therefore take 30 or more days to sort through them. This is why I feel such an urgency to find work. According to my estimations it will take:

A minimum of four weeks to review applications
A minimum of one week to interview candidates
Two weeks to receive my first paycheck

This equals 7 weeks. 7 weeks from now, I will be at the end of my unemployment extension! Not a place I want to be. Not a place I CAN be.

I've only lived in my house a little over one year. I'd like to hang onto it for awhile. Have the time to truly settle in and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I'm not asking for much out of this life. My "American Dream" consists of a $36,000 mortgage, and a ten year old car. Surely, at 37 years old, this is not "too much." I've never required extravagance. I'm simply trying to provide a roof over my head, and a sense of security. Food on the table, and love in my heart.

And I'm going to hang on to the belief that this dream is actually coming true. Slowly, but true.

No comments: