Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Cup of Tea



I'm content on my couch, sipping a cup of Irish Breakfast Tea. Reflecting on a day of relaxation and contemplative thoughts.



Enduring the economic crisis, without a job, and at times, without hope, for nine months, has been a powerful experience. And although I don't desire to remain in this state of uncertainty, I can strongly say that surviving this has taught me many valuable lessons, and reaffirmed new discoveries of, and about myself.



This is what I know: Corporate America is not my cup of tea. I realize that there are some good companies out there somewhere, but my personal experiences left me disenchanted. Poor decisions driven by profit alone, disregard for humanity... again solely for profit, hypocrisy... I saw this at all levels. This greed-driven business mindset is exactly what has left many of these very victimized workers out in the cold. Jobless. Hopeless.



I'm no Mother Teresa, but I do believe that people who are treated with respect and kindness work harder. Pride in the environment within which most of us spend some 2,000 hours a year, makes for a happier life. I've lived the unhappy one, in the throes of Corporate America, and now I'm ready to risk the falsified security of working in Corporate America, for a life I can truly call my own.



Some of my lifestyle downsizing was forced upon me, however, I had been heading in the direction of a simpler life for two years. I was never one who valued material things in excess, but I did enjoy many a carefree year in my youth. Buying outfits for events an hour before they occurred, driving new cars, going out, thinking little of throwing something on a charge card... I did it. Changing these irresponsible, and mindless ways, wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. And the rewards of controlling your finances, not being controlled by the lacking of them... amazing!



I pulled myself out of financial ruin, cleaned up my credit and bought a house. Everything was finally going my way...



But was it?



Soon after, I found myself without a job for the first time in 22 years. Well, if you count my paper routes, it was actually 27 years. Fear of losing all that I had worked so hard for began to consume me. Once again, I felt I was controlled by Corporate America. I had to rely on their stability to be able to provide jobs. I had to rely on their wish to employ me. I had to rely on the paycheck to maintain my current life.



Or did I?



Thankfully, I have managed to survive on less than $1,000 a month. I have proven to myself, that I can make it. This experience has not only given me strength, it has provided me with a bottom floor. My current income is my bottom floor. It would be virtually impossible to make less... I could work part time for $8 an hour and still maintain the roof over my head.



My point to be made here, is that I am in a position to take that risk, and pursue my own career. Of course I know it won't be easy, but I doubt that it could get any harder than it has been! Why spend my time searching for jobs that don't exist, or that are about to disappear? Do I really want to ignore all of my personal growth and just fall back into a life that holds little meaning?

No!

My focus will now be on my new found strength, and developing courage... It's time to believe in myself, and stay true to who I am. To cease making accommodations and excuses... It's time.

I know I've been telling you this tale for some time, and I risk boring you of it. But, I've got to continue to process these thoughts. Express them. Make them real. Putting your thoughts on "paper" requires action, and so does personal success.

Knowing is half the battle...

3 comments:

Anon said...

No, you don't risk boring us of it.

You're teaching us something important. Something I have begun to seriously consider in the last six months, with my comfortable job and not-so-comfortable budget.

What do i really need to be happy?
Do i really need to have...
...or do I need to give.

And what if my nice job isn't so secure? It might not be!

I'm thinking of ways to prepare, to get lean now...in case I go through what you just did.

(And I've been employed since those days of paper-routes!)

Mona Lake said...

I highly recommend simple living always. Our lives aren't truly ours if we spend them trying to pay for things. How painful!

You're a great guy who does a lot of great things. I think you have little to worry for and a lot to give.

Anon said...

Very kind of you. Thanks!

I could, though, do more if I didn't commit so much of my budget to...

...me, myself, and I.

(Three most expensive friends I have, lol!)