Saturday, January 31, 2009

Good Deed #7 Laundry Service

Today was my first day sitting with the elderly man while his wife got to spend some much-needed time outside of the house. Her daughter had driven up-state to spend the afternoon with her parents. Both are in their 90's. Unfortunately, Chester suffered a heart attack, followed by a few strokes, and is now left to spend his days in a chair or bed. He is entirely dependent on the care of others. However, his wife is very mobile, and still has "her wits" about her. Due to his need to be supervised, Virginia has not left the house in two years.

I found myself a little overwhelmed at the bittersweetness of their elderly life. Both were teachers for over 30 years and the hallways were dotted with pictures capturing those teachable moments I'm very sure they both cherished. They raised children, had grandchildren, and have been married for over 60 years. Their home was full of love in the form of photographs, momentos, and a piano with the songbook for a love song. I began wondering how Chester feels... how aware he is, and if his dependent life offers him much happiness. I wanted to know about him. What he liked to watch. What music he listened to. If he would enjoy my reading a book to him.

Before Virginia and her daughter left, her daughter said, "There's laundry in the washer and dryer. You don't have to take care of it if you don't want to, but if you do you can just lay the laundry on the ironing board."

Of course I'll take care of the laundry, I thought. I was actually quite happy to. And instead of simply plunking it on the ironing board, I folded everything and placed it in piles accordingly. It was strangely satisfying.

Chester nodded off while I was writing overdue thank you notes. I kept a close watch on him, and each time he wiggled his toes, I looked to see if he was awake. At one point, he did in fact lift his head, and I went over to see if he needed a sip of his juice.

"Hi Chester. I'm Mona, Pat's friend. Are you thirsty?"

To my surprise, he said no. I was under the impression that Chester didn't speak.

"Is there anything I can get for you?"

"No, not that I can think of right now." He replied.

I was pleasantly surprised. So happy that he was able to speak. Maybe after I become more familiar to him, I will ask him if he would like me to read, or find something that he would like to do that stimulates his mind a little. I let him know that I was nearby in case he needed something and returned to my thank you notes.

Once the mother and daughter returned, I couldn't help but notice the glow on Virginia's face. "I just can't believe all of the changes, and the new things!" They had gone to breakfast, stopped by a relative's house, and gotten groceries. Her three hour escape had literally brightened her day. She was so thrilled with her time out in the "real world" that she asked if I would come by again next Saturday. Of course, I will.

Not only do I love helping people, I love helping elderly people. I have always been passionate about their quality of life, and how they are treated. Virginia reminds me of my grandmother on my dad's side... very very sharp and active, despite being in her 90's. Providing her with the peace of mind necessary to allow her to get out and enjoy a little life, especially when she doesn't have as much life to look forward to as others, made me so happy. I can't really describe all of the emotions I felt, but I can say that it was a very rewarding experience, and I look forward to getting to know them both better... and folding more laundry.

No comments: