Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Riding the Tide


I've been busy! Not busy for most, but busy for me!

These waves of activity and inactivity are very confusing to the mind and body. I may go an entire week without an appointment, and Monday I had three in a row. Things get going in one direction, and then life determines I must change course. I used to be rather opposed to monotony... but now I feel it would be welcome! Can I get a little consistency over here?

Tomorrow morning will be my last day on the remodel. I stopped there today to put a coat of paint on the cabinet framing. To my surprise, the guys had finished most of what was left to be done. So tomorrow, I'll just be touching up the cabinets and tearing down the tape. It is hard to believe that this project will finally be done...

Now what?

Next week, I have an appointment with a woman about volunteering with the Substance Abuse Council, and I also meet with the college to begin mapping out my coursework. From what I understand, I won't be able to begin taking classes any earlier than May, and possibly later than that. Waiting for the red tape of my life to be cut has become quite trying. I'm over it! Time's a wastin' folks! Hopefully, I'll have something to plan for, something to look forward to... soon!

My first day back at ceramics was incredible! There were 5 familiar, friendly and welcoming faces... and mutual "glad to see ya"s! This will be my first time going in with a plan. I'm making a number of plates with the intent of having inventory to sell at the Spring Art Walk. I formed and prepped two to dry and got started on a third. Because I have no job... I will be able to go to the additional 2 hours of open studio on Thursdays. At this pace, I could easily make a dozen plates before the end of the term. If I sell them for $20, I'll make the cost of the "class" back, and have some profit for myself. Pricing them higher is an option, but, the local market wouldn't bear much more. Regardless of my future success, or lack of, it was sure nice to back "playin' in the dirt."

My visit with the decade-long ex was interesting. We had casual conversation, funny conversation... and serious conversation. We tied up a few loose ends from the past, answered a few unanswered questions, and vowed to always be friends.

As I navigate these uncertain waters... I have to remind myself to be grateful that I am still afloat and willing to sail. Things don't always happen according to our own schedules, or desires... I just want to know when I can finally take off this scratchy orange life jacket!

No comments: