Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Frigid!


I'm frigid!

I suppose I'm being punished for making fun of the news being, what I felt, overly dramatic about the bone-chilling temperatures Canada has blessed us with. Being a midwesterner my entire life, cold is cold is cold. But DAMN it's cold!

Surely Canada could have sent us universal health care, but instead we are enduring a "blast" of arctic temperatures. Highs will be in single digits, and wind chills will be in negative double digits. Crews are out searching for homeless people and neglected animals in an attempt to prevent fatal suffering.

Almost personally falling victim to the cold, I found myself "locked" out of the rental... outside in a t-shirt and jeans. I had gone next door to leave a note for the tenant. Todd wasn't going to be there today to fix his leak, despite his committing to do so last night, and I wasn't thrilled. When I returned to the back door of the rental I'm working on, I couldn't get the door to open! This wasn't the first time the door had "locked" itself, but it was the first time that it had done so when I could have frozen to death. That door, in my opinion, needs to be replaced. Not only is it ugly and old... it doesn't work properly!

Finding myself angered for the first time this year, I decided I didn't give a shit about what destruction of the door was necessary to save my life. Okay. So now I'm being a little dramatic. But, I was pissed, and my fingers were bright red from the cold. I could push one corner of the bottom storm window in, but wasn't getting it to open far enough to get my finger in close enough to move the handle from the inside. See! That even sounds complicated.

An icy gust of wind blew right through me.

I kicked the window.

I said "damn't!"

The window didn't break.

I was beginning to have second thoughts about destroying the door. This meant I'd have to count on Todd for yet another thing, fixing the door, and his lack of follow through is what had gotten me into this frigid situation in the first place. I had run through the snow to the front door, hoping I had forgotten to lock it. Locked. I ran back and began frantically pulling on the door. My ears were red and hot, my nose dripping... this was getting serious.

My last attempt to turn the handle by pressing the storm window in at the corner finally worked. I might have been freezing on the outside, but I was HOT on the inside. Disgruntled. Pissed. My perfect, puffy cloud and rainbow filled New Year had seen its first moments of "darkness." I packed up and shipped out.

Waiting for me at my front door was a Chicago style pizza, shipped from Chicago. A genuine, authentic, pizza treat, just for me! As soon as I made it inside my own door, I turned on the oven. My minor episode of MADness disappeared in the wake of my pizza pleasure.

Both my kitchen and bathroom faucets sputtered when I turned them on. I've kept the heat at 58 degrees all winter, unless I am having company. Can't freeze your friends! Anyway, in fear of frozen pipes, I "cranked" the heat up to a balmy 62 for the night. I've got wool socks, sweats, a tank top, long sleeve t-shirt, and hooded sweatshirt on and I'm under two throw blankets. I'm fairly warm, but my uncovered skin detects the severity of the cold.

I'm going to put my hood up, and try to catch a 20 minute nap. Then my Tuesday T.V. marathon begins: American Idol, Law and Order, followed by Nip/Tuck. I'm not sure I'll stay awake long enough for all three...

1 comment:

Anon said...

OMG!!!

Glad you were able to get in! I've got a security door I've nearly broken down once or twice, once in similar weather & not many more clothes.

If it's any comfort, today's temp has just risen to "0". I can finally rest in warmth!!!

Pizza sounds good! I caved in and broiled a chicken, complete with lemon, curry & a spattering of other seasonings. Damned if that didn't hit the spot tonight, *and* warm up the kitchen!