Monday, January 26, 2009

"Normal" Person in Training

Monday. My first day as an almost "normal" person. I say this, because I actually had more than one thing on the day's agenda. A rarity for us impoverished, unemployed, single people.

My day began at 8:00 with a call into the unemployment line. I actually got through within the first six minutes, which is a vast improvement over the 45 minute long attempt a few weeks ago. Apparently, they actually are overhauling the system to accommodate the daily growth of the unemployment claims. A small victory for our plight here.

Next: a nap.

Mid-morning, I actually fixed myself something to eat. Well, it was leftovers, but I ate. Made a cup of coffee, and headed out to my ceramics "class." I can't tell you how much I enjoy the people that I craft dirt with. Such a nice mix of life paths, age groups and talent. An all around nice gathering of artistic humanity. I finished prepping one of my plates to dry, and painted an early spring budding tree and grass scene with iron oxide and chromium slips on another. Further affirming my belief that I am, in fact, obsessed with trees, and may have been a Jack Pine in a former life.

After my artsy time, I went downtown to meet with Carol about volunteering with our local Substance Abuse Council. I was quite impressed, and a bit overwhelmed, with the magnitude of programs and events they carry out within the community. I happened to be the only future volunteer at the meeting, joined by another Carol, "with the shorter last name." Both ladies were very personable, and also, very compassionate about my unemployed status. Potentially, while working with them, I may be able to pick up a few paid events, and connect with other non-profit organizations in the community for future employment opportunities. Hallelujah! Hope. Hope is always welcome here in my world!

Next stop: the bank. I had to deposit my graduation check from my California grandparents to make sure that my ceramics class and Art Center membership payment didn't bounce. These next 10 days are going to be so tricky financially... I frankly have no idea how I'm going to pull this one off.

Afterwards, I returned home. Ate dinner. Yep. Leftovers. Cleaned the house. Read my mail... and ironed out the schedule for the week. With so few commitments on deck, you'd think I could keep them straight. But as I said in a previous post... unemployment does terrible things to your mind. I had overbooked Thursday. WHAT? Hilarious. After shuffling things around, I now have something to do every day except for tomorrow.

So this is it. I'm a "normal" person in training. Easing back into the hustle and bustle of Normalville, and reclaiming my place in the community. Quietly letting the world know that I still have something to offer it, and I refuse to be forgotten.

No comments: