Thursday, January 8, 2009

Lost? Found? Lost and found?

Today was yet another successful day for yours truly. While en route to the remodel, I had received a call from the property owner. She had three people coming to see the unit at 6p.m. At first, I was a little apprehensive to show a property that was almost completely disassembled, and littered with tools, paint, hardware and ladders; while I, myself, was littered with paint! If I had been in control of the situation, I would have allowed myself time to transform from Petunia Painter, into Paulina Professional Property Manager. I also would have liked to have had the showings scheduled 15 minutes apart to allow for a more personalized showing.

But... my previous management and sales skills made my paint-covered ponytail, over-booked showings, and construction-zone unit irrelevant! I've got one confirmed holding deposit coming tomorrow at 11 a.m., and possibly another. When I let the owner know how well things went, she was in complete disbelief that I was able to negotiate tenancy on the very first day. She loves me. And I love working for her... so there just isn't a way for this to go wrong!

The owner is now thinking forward and talking about buying more property. I think she's so excited that she'd buy the whole city if she could. Regardless of her intentions, working on this project is really steering me into the direction of building my own business. The economy is so terrible that I could spend the next year or more looking for work. Why not make a little?

I've got the know-how. I have enough before/after photos to create a portfolio. I have references from former clients. I've been in management of some form or another for 18 years. I have experience managing people, clients, inventory, payroll, and general operations. I'm self-motivated, and easy to work with, as well as for. Several of my friends are in construction, masonry, and landscaping... if they don't work directly for me, we could at least have a mutual referral relationship. I am struggling to find reasons not to pursue this...

I'd have to form an L.L.C., which would cost me a little chunk of money, but other than that, I can't think of much preventing me from moving forward. I had created business cards and a brochure in the past, so after just a few updates, I'd have those bases covered. Getting the word out and finding clients would take a little pavement pounding, but again, I have enough connections that I think I would be able to drum up enough business to squeek by on the bills. I have an office in my house... this might be the answer!

If I work for myself, I would be able to control my schedule, and allow for attending classes for Human Services, although, if I go into business for myself, I will likely pursue the Paralegal training. That would provide me with legal knowledge to protect my business, and a back-up career...

Looks like I have some things to think about.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like where you're going with this train of thought, but let me just get you to the end of the line. MBA. There's just no damn reason why an MBA is beyond your means or ability and that's the sort of knowledge you really need to get the things you deserve.

Mona Lake said...

Cool! You paying? ;)

Anon said...

You've got the ball rolling. You've got verve, momentum... Woman of your caliber can't be held down...don't hold yourself down.

Dream BIG and strike while the iron is hot!