Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Great Salsa Incident


Today was probably the most challenging day I have had this year. It started out with the two quit smoking crabby-appletons complaining all the way through the work day. Followed by a phone call to give me a "heads up" that the owner is flipping out about their labor bill and will be on site tomorrow.

Knowing Todd, he presented the situation in a negative light. He's a great guy, but I'm thinking that he loves the drama. Likes to be the hero. And... he's rather co-dependent. He called her... which wasn't necessary, if you ask me. The right way to deal with that, is to let the client see the transformation, and then present the bill. Her entire rental unit has been remodelled. It's already rented. The value of it has been increased; and it looks amazing. Focus on the positives, boys.

Anyway...

I ate a discounted day old bakery honey wheat bagel with whipped cream cheese that had exceeded it's "best by" date for dinner. The bagel wasn't pre-sliced. As I was slicing my bagel I remembered some big stink being made about the number of people who cut their hands while slicing bagels. It wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done, but it did require a little patience. So, as I was cutting it, I was trying to determine if the 40% off sticker price was worth the risk of losing a finger, or severing a major artery. For me, the difference of sliced, versus unsliced, did not outweigh the savings. But, if I were a pressed-for-time-soccer-mom-of-four; I'd probably go for the more expensive already-sliced, risk free bagels. When it comes to saving money, you have to consider more than the pricetag. A trip to the emergency room for a bleeding and begrudged bagel-cutter costs a lot more than buying sliced bagels.

After an unexpected nap, perhaps induced by my possibly poisonous cream cheese, I hopped online for a few games of Scrabble. I've been playing against a friend of mine from Chicago who is also hiding from the cold. Our local news said that the temperature in Chicago today was colder than it was in North Pole, Alaska!

Mid-game, we both decided that it was time to grab a snack. I decided on chips and salsa. Seemed a good choice considering I have two Ziploc bags of chips, and salsa is always tasty. I sat down in bed... began crunching on my first chip... and... spilled salsa! Somehow, a small amount of salsa managed to splatter on my floor, bed skirt, new flannel sheets, and over sized down- alternative, doesn't-really-fit-in-my-washing-machine comforter. Shit!

My Scrabble pal allowed me to cease worrying about the turn timer and tend to my great salsa incident. I decided to take the sheets and bed skirt off first, since they were mainly white and I wanted them to stay that way. After sticking the sheets and bed skirt into the washing machine, I tended to the comforter. My washing machine was already occupied with the other linen victims of my bedroom snacking, so I had to rinse off the salsa from my comforter... in the shower! It's also THE coldest night we have had this winter... so I had to not only remake the bed with another set of flannel sheets, I had to dig out another blanket from the back of the linen closet.

Believing my great salsa incident had been handled, I sat back down in my less cozy bed to return to my Scrabble game. As I reached for another chip, I noticed that I had salsa on my sweatshirt too! UGH! Thankfully, my online Scrabble opponent was very patient as I stripped myself of my soiled sweatshirt and reached for a clean one.

What?! I have no more clean sweatshirts! When does my eating-in-bed punishment end?! It's cold as could be and I am down one down comforter, and the shelter of a sweatshirt.

And, again, I'm up past my now non-existent bedtime, in the midst of a salsa-induced laundry marathon. I'll have to find a way to sleep without the extra warmth of my sweatshirt and comforter, as well as without the comfort of knowing the property owner will be seeing the remodel with a positive mindset.

1 comment:

Anon said...

Nice to know I'm not the only one who fumbles shiznit, lol!