Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Blast and the Past


Seems these arctic blasts have stirred up ol' Mona's past...

Sometime around midnight (great song, by the way), I got a call from Kimmee. I hadn't heard from her since right before she lost her home here to foreclosure. She was having a very difficult time financially, and personally. Not hearing from her was a concern to me, but her number was disconnected and I had no way of discovering her fate. Turns out she has moved to a nearby state, is still with her husband, and is doing quite well! We may be getting together Saturday if she comes to town. While I was on the phone with her... I had been clicking through photos of C.F. for no explainable reason.

An hour and a half later... I receive a text... from an ex decade-long on-again-off-again boyfriend. "I'm at your favorite place." He wrote.

"Where is that?" I replied.

I was just about to fall asleep, so it took me a moment to realize what he meant. He was here. It's his birthday. Huh.

"Come on, no guesses?" He inquired.

I sent a flirtatious reply, that's what we do. And because I detest texting, I decided to call him. We hadn't spoken since Thanksgiving of '07. At that time he had said he was considering moving back to be closer to his family, but I didn't take him seriously. After he ditched me for an "unplanned" evening with his family, I wrote him off as permanently irresponsible and non-committal.

It seems his father had to be hospitalized this year around Thanksgiving. He and I had always maintained a friendship, so I had broken the ice, not knowing his situation, and left a message on Thanksgiving day.

"Hey you. Are we still fighting? It's been a year... hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving."

I hadn't heard back from him, and had honestly forgotten that I called. During our conversation tonight, he said he didn't know what "my deal" was, but that he'd like to get together on Monday. He also asked about my new boyfriend. Apparently, his friend John had told him that he saw me at a music store with my new boyfriend and I bought a guitar. Well, the guy I was with is just a great friend, and the guitars I have are borrowed... he was glad to know John had embellished.

Monday... I'll be seeing him on Monday. He has moved back to the state, and is living 30 minutes away. At one point, unknown to him, I called him my husband. I used to think he was "the one." But then I was growing up, and he was staying the same, and I grew tired of the lack of direction he, and our relationship had. When he came to visit, I remembered feeling over it. Over the belief that we had a future, over the attraction, over the waiting for something to change.

But, this will be the first time in ten years that we have lived in the same state. Will it be different? Is he different?

Truth is, right now it doesn't matter. He will always be someone I consider a friend. Our "bad times" weren't really bad, they were just miles on a map that got in the way. My mind is open, I'm not sure if my heart is... but, certainly we can see each other. And, I adore his parents, so if his father is in ill health, a visit is in order.

How strange that I have heard from two estranged people in the same night, and I'll be seeing both of them within the same week! And how strange it is for me to be up at this hour! I thought I was working on becoming a "normal" person...

Goodnight!

No comments: