Monday, January 5, 2009

Good Deed #3- Share the "Wealth"


Today was the first day on the job for my latest remodelling adventure. I'm working in a unit that is almost exactly like the last one... only this time, I got the green light to make improvements to every room! I literally skipped eating breakfast because I was so excited to get there and begin the transformation.

When I arrived, my demo partner had a guy with him. The two tough guys tore out the old surround in the shower, ripped out the creepy sink and demolished the poorly intstalled tile "trim." I was doing the delicate work: painting the front bedroom. The color looks amazing! I chose Valspar's "Outlands Subtle Taupe" (6005-1B), which is approved by the National Trust For Historic Preservation. It's a nice change from the barely-beige, and a rental-friendly color.

While I was on the ladder, "Bill" approached me with a proposition. It seems Bill is unemployed as well, and like me, in serious need of cash. Bill wants to help me out with some painting. As much as I would like to hoard all of the work hours and as a result, have more money to support myself... I know exactly what Bill is going through, and if I were him, I wouldn't want to hear "no."

So, I took my personal wants and needs out of the picture. If I share the "wealth" with Bill, the project will be completed sooner, which means the unit can be rented sooner. The sooner the unit rents, the sooner the owner has more money. The sooner the owner has more money, the sooner I get more work. And if I share the hours with Bill... I've done a good deed.

Done deal.

I checked in with the owner on the drive home. She's a little nervous about the renovation costs, but being a good sport about the spending. I absolutely love working with her. Times are tough for everyone, and sacrifices have to be made to survive. She has asked me to do some administrative-type work for her, in addition to the remodel. I gave it some thought, and decided to voluntarily lower my pay rate for the "office" work. Again, she has to have money to support herself and her properties, and the more money she has, the more opportunities I will have to continue to work for her. It just seemed fair. The right thing to do.

I thought about counting that as two good deeds in one day... but I want to keep the momentum going. I don't want this spirit to end too soon. Although I have yet to help an old lady across the street, or give a homeless person a sandwich, I'm enjoying focusing on what I can do for others, instead of focusing on myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mona (Laura?), I happened upon your blog a few months ago and seemed to have gotten caught up in its jet stream (somtimes its gentle breeze). I happened upon it as one would discover a wonderful new neighborhood after making wrong turn or after crawling on your knees through a bramble bush, looking for your lost spaulding, you emerge, brush off your knees and look up to find .... well find something new?, Different?. Maybe something familiar but just viewed through different eyes. Anyway Mona since you are willing to share your passage of time with us I thought it proper to let you know that you have me as a passenger. Wanted or unwanted but such is the reach of this internet world.

Mona Lake said...

Hello very eloquent passenger person! Your message is both intriguing and beautiful. Such a pleasant little gift. Thank you!

Anon said...

Kudos on teaming up with fellow travelers. I've done a little long-distance biking and running, and let me tell you...having one or more people along picks up the pace and all but guarantees a better finish for everyone.

And if someone struggles, there is always someone willing to lag back and assist.

No one is alone, and no one fails!