Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugurated...and it feels so good

I may risk being called anti-American...

or, getting shot...

But as I sit here and watch the inauguration, I can't help but feel as though this is the first president we have had (in my lifetime) that I actually believe in. Sure we've had a few good ones while I've been alive, but I was either literally too young to understand the magnitude of that role, or, just honestly, too immature.

I don't care who knows this... I voted for Barack Obama.

I've voted before, but for some reason, this time it felt like my vote really did count! Maybe this is the first election that truly mattered to me. Maybe it's the first time that I've realized that I, and this country, NEED change. It's not about wanting anymore... it's about necessity. It's about putting an end to all of the destructive bullshit that has been swept under the rug for so many years, that the country's foundation is literally crumbling under the weight of it. It's about people remembering what life is really about, and that it has nothing to do with SUV's and guns. It's about letting go of whatever has wronged us in the past, and committing to being a part of the solution, not the problem. It is about knowing that we literally cannot afford to continue leading selfish lives, but we have always been able-bodied enough to make our own ways, and help our neighbors. It's a reminider that we do have enough time to be kind to a stranger... that every single human being has the power to make this world a better place.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is interesting the optimism that he inspires in people isn't it. Somehow he is able to restore some faith in our fellow man, I don't know how he does it, but he does. Here's to the end of an error and the beginning of a brighter future.

Anonymous said...

People desire great change to take place in this world without ever expecting to change themselves. This, I am afraid, will never change.

Mona Lake said...

Yes, but those who do work to create that change, succeed in some way, shape, or form. I'm going to give optimism a second chance.