Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Spent

I'm spent. Spent like my unemployment check.

I didn't get much sleep last night, but managed to make it through another demanding day at the remodel. Being tired is something I'm used to, so I remained upbeat for the entire day, unlike the guys. Talk about a couple of grumps!

In their defense, a few things had "gone wrong" today. The backer board hadn't adhered properly because the wall is an exterior one, and was too cold. Poor quality spackle previously applied by someone else kept peeling off the walls while I was painting. We ran out of tile. So did the local Lowe's... so a 60 mile journey was required to pick up more tile in the neighboring city. And there was some big to-do with the bathroom sink, but I hid in the closet. Actually I was painting the closet, but I did intentionally avoid the situation. Sure, I got frustrated here and there, but I remedied the situation by belting out songs along with the easy listening station the radio was on.

"Even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with ya honey..."

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away..."

Before I left, I had to clean off my car windows. We had gotten some snow, and there was a small layer of ice on them. I had lifted my windshield wipers to scrape under them, and apparently dismantled them! While approaching a stop light, I switched on the wipers to remove a chunk of snow that had slid down from the roof and into my field of vision. I was a little confused when I saw the thin little stump of a wiper go across my windshield. Only the arm was operating on the driver's side. The blade was being bounced around at the edge of my hood! So... once I got to the light, I got out of the car, used my broken blade like a squeegee on the windshield, and laid it on my dashboard.

Too tired to assess the damage, I simply grabbed my purse and went into the house when I got home. I sure hope nothing needs to be repaired. I only have $8 to last me until next week, and the weather here requires one to have functioning windshield wipers. Of course, the "fix-it" guys are going to be on another job the next couple of days. My luck. Oh well.

My knees hurt. My back hurts. I have a rash on the back of my neck, paint at the ends of my ponytail, and paint under my fingernails. I'm feeling all sorts of sexy right now. When I was in the shower (yes, I did shower), I was thinking how nice it would have been to have someone here to greet me when I got home. That same someone could have picked up the house, gotten dinner ready, fixed my windshield wiper, and given me a back rub. I then decided I need to start a "rent-a-husband" business.

Now, don't confuse this with a prostitution ring. There are plenty of women out there, like myself, that manage just fine without a man, but wouldn't mind the "perks" of companionship once or twice a month. Dating is exhausting. Ha! And I hardly do it! But it is! I feel like this is going terribly wrong...

What I'm trying to say, I suppose, is that I can see how one would benefit from cohabitation. However, I have no desire to even date, and I doubt the property owner would be cool with me putting the project on hold until I find someone to rub my feet when I get home, so I suppose I'll just have to deal with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You flatter me with your comments about my post. It is just that I feel we all need to be recognized for the time and care we put into our efforts. Even the smallest gesture can achieve great returns. All I can offer is a small acknowledgement of the enjoyment of reading your blog. Of course I am waiting (and rooting) for the publication of the sequel when, guns blazing, Mona has stumbled into her chosen future. Stumbled is definitely the wrong word. For it will be the result of hard, and I am sure you feel at times, fruitless efforts that will unleash Mona on the unsuspecting masses. Now that will be a blog to read. Unfortunately Mona I must let you know that your gut is wrong. I am only known to you by these short blurbs and you to me through the “eyes” and words of your blog. I would not want you to think that I somebody you know secretly commenting on your life. May I offer a suggestion? I say suggestion because I am sure friends and family have overwhelmed you with advice. It is in regard to your 365 good deeds in 365 days. I foresee an unfortunate incident (also unfortunately I now have an image of Johnny Carson as Karnak in my head). I see Mona searching in a panic, the day is growing long, a day of no good deeds coming to a close. Heart racing, breathing shallow, but wait, at the corner with traffic racing past stands the deed waiting to be done. Not just done but done with head held high another day of doing good that’s who I am Mona Lake doer of good deeds. You grasp the groceries from the old woman’s hands and swiftly usher her safely through traffic to the opposite corner. Deed done. Yes done as you both gaze across as the woman’s bus passes an empty but once occupied bus stop. It is a story, I must say, that I would have loved to have you tell but I guess what I am trying to say is don’t try so hard. The opportunities will come and when they do I am sure you will be willing although not always able to help. Help when you can and be willing to be helped when you need it. With that I will end this rambling and leave you to your life of doing good. Write on Mona write on.

Mona Lake said...

And the intrigue continues! Mr./Mrs. Mystery Person... you, yourself, are one who has provided ME with something enjoyable to read. Thank you for your advice. I would like you to know that my good deed mission is one without pressure... it's actually a somewhat selfish mission. By doing good for others, I make my own life more enjoyable. I'm attempting to scrape away the "funk" that had build up on my mind and heart throughout these months of hopelessness. Thank you, again, for your comments! And thank you for reading! Yes, the smallest gestures do achieve great returns! You have given me a little boost today!

Mona Lake said...

I just re-read your comment and it kind of choked me up. Yeah, I'm a sentimental softie. You're an excellent writer, and an apparently kind-hearted soul. Thank you.