Friday, January 30, 2009

Naughty Me...


I'm being naughty. Staying up past my "bedtime." I was playing Scrabble against "HottieScottie13" and lost my connection, so I somehow decided that it was imperative for me to go through my cluttered email box. Why isn't going to bed on my to do list?

I wanted to mention that I have not forgotten my good deeds... well, literally I have forgotten to mention them. But... they are still on my mind and still a goal to get through this crazy economic disaster. Instead of trying to recall my silly episodes of kindness... I do want to mention my recent failure to perform a good deed.

Driving home from one of my "busy" days earlier this week, I passed a woman trying to shovel her driveway. Her face bore an expression of struggle, and because my neighbors tend to my snow-covered walks quite often, I thought it my turn to help someone else with the snow. But as I rounded the corner to my own street, I began to find quite trivial reasons NOT to help.

If I walk back with my shovel, it might take too long. (I'm sure she still would have been shovelling.)

And the interesting excuse...

What if she doesn't welcome my help?

Who wouldn't welcome help shovelling snow?! I've been thinking about this for days. I do believe that one reason people don't help one another more readily is because our lives have become so cluttered and self-seeking, that strangers do in fact become strange to us. What would she really have done to me? Push my face in the snow and cuss me out for being so nice? I would have had a shovel in hand to defend myself! And since one of my goals is to help preserve the safety and pleasantries of the neighborhood, why didn't I march right down the street to help her?

Tomorrow, I'm going to an elderly couple's house with a woman who cares for a 92 year old man. I'm going to meet the couple, because Saturday I will be staying there for a couple hours while the wife gets out for some much-needed her time. I am honestly a little nervous about it, considering the woman who cares for the man said, "All you can do is sit. He can't be left alone. If he happens to fall out of his chair, there is literally nothing you can do. And he has a "do not resucitate" order, so if for some reason he stops breathing... there is nothing you can do." I'm hoping neither situation occurs!

I was able to attend the open studio time today for ceramics. I trimmed up all three of my plates, painted little wildflowers on one, and decided to leave the other one plain before glazing. Afterwards, I found myself lacking inspiration and direction. So, I rolled out a big chunk of clay, layed it on the table in front of me, and waited for it to trigger an idea in my brain. I almost settled for more plates, although different in shape, but, I decided to place three of the forms next to each other and cut the clay around the edges. It has created a very interesting geometrical shape, that will become a wall hanging. Susan, a VERY talented artist, came over to admire what I was doing, and said she really liked the shape. Anytime Susan likes my work... well, it's like making your parents proud. One of these days, I'll remember to take my camera so I can share the "dirty" things I do in ceramics.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your idea of naughty and my idea of naughty are entirely different.