Saturday, January 17, 2009

Miracle on Poorgirl St.

I spent eight straight hours painting at the remodel, and I am literally exhausted! Only half of the crabby newly-non-smoking team showed up today... at 2:30 in the afternoon, but I managed to get along without them just fine. The property owner showed up around 3:00 p.m. and got her first walk-through of the almost completed project. The first thing she said was, "I hope Todd didn't give you the impression that I was upset. I felt bad and kept saying to myself, 'I should have just said thank you." I assured her that I wasn't bothered by anything and that all was fine.

While she was at the unit, she and I discussed future plans. She has a couple friends with over 100 rental properties in the area that need help with property management. One of which asked for my card. I don't have an official card. I explained that I have to get a few things in order before I go forward with my own business, but she felt my plans were solid and that I would have plenty of business from her contacts alone. When I told her of my plans to pursue the paralegal training, her eyes widened and she said, "Monaaaa... that's exactly what these people need!"

Great!

Once I got home, I grabbed the mail from the box. The first item I opened was from the hospital. Due to my unemployed, and poverty level status, I, for the first time, explored options to receive assistance with my $800 hospital bill from last June. Someone had fudged my paperwork and I had to fax in proof of my current income, however, I hadn't heard back from the office for over one month. Well... today I got the great news that they have covered 100% of my bill. Hallelujah! Thank you, Jesus. No, really! What a blessing!

Asking for, or actually needing help, is still very new to me, but I've come to realize that we all need help sometimes, and if I don't reach out for it, I'm going to implode in a fashion that is similar to the entire country's economic collapse! Instead of feeling guilty, or undeserving, this time I felt a pay-it-forward what-comes-around-goes-around kind of goodness. I felt that the multitude of good deeds I had done over my lifetime, the volunteering and fundraising, and just plain compassion for others, had finally come back to me. My sense of hope was reaffirmed, and my heart: warmed.

1 comment:

Anon said...

Think of it as the taxpayer's way of saying, "You go girl! We're pulling for ya!"

No one minds helping people who are going to make the most of it & turn it around. Much less people who have been giving deeply of themselves all along!