Sunday, February 1, 2009

Saving Mona. Mona Saving.

I have been pinching the few pennies I have left throughout my own economic crisis, but since the coldest winter on record made higher utility bills inevitable, I've had to get a little more creative.

Thankfully, I grew up poor. When you grow up poor, you learn to be resourceful. I've never been one to waste things, but even the most frugal can find new ways to save money. Not only is money "tight" right now, I'm still very unsure of when it will run out. So, my goal to save money has now become an obsession! Saving money, is saving me. Hopefully!

Yesterday, I went to my mother's house to grab a few boxes of my stuff. I swore I would never be the kid who left a bunch of junk at their mother's house, but, I did. Not a bunch, and definitely not as much as my brother did, but I still left things behind. Getting everything out has been on my to-do list for over a year. I'd like to say that I went there solely to do the right thing and take care of what I left behind, but I had an ulterior motive: selling off my things on Ebay.

Even though I don't have any really "big ticket" items, I do have things that I certainly don't need, that are of some value. Selling it on Ebay will generate some income (hopefully) and get that junk out of my life for good! My plan is to use any and all Ebay earnings only to pay bills. I have about $650 in credit card bills that will be the recipient of my Ebay "fortune." Saving me money in interest, and additional financial worry.

My second new money saving idea won't be easy for me. I am now only using half of a fabric softener sheet in the dryer. I'm a self-confessed fabric softener sheets-that-smell-good junkie! I alway use liquid fabric softener and dryer sheets... and for my bedding, I use two! These savings aren't going to prevent me from going into foreclosure, or allow me to spend an extra ten bucks on groceries, but it will make my box of dryer sheets last a little longer than usual. Although I have only done a few loads of laundry since the literal cutback, I haven't had any tragic static incidences, or found that my clothes are so stiff that they cause bloody abrasions... so I may just make this a permanent change.

That's about as sexy and exciting as it gets around here! I still haven't adjusted to having things to do and had forgotten about ceramics class times until tonight. So counting those, and my Saturday watching Chester, I have THREE obligations for this week so far. Woah! I'm not sure I can handle it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Will you cook me dinner some night? I don't have time to eat right.

Mona Lake said...

Of course I would! Only bad thing is you have a reputation as being an excellent cook and I would be afraid my meal might not please your palette!