Thursday, October 23, 2008

The "Empress's" New Clothes


"Breaking" news... I'm sure you've heard... Sara Palin, and her family, have spent over $100,000 on their "campaign wardrobe." Here are my thoughts...

Selfishly, that amount of money would cover my current bills for almost TEN YEARS!

Unselfishly... as much as I don't care for her, I'd like to know why the cost of Biden, McCain or Obama's wardrobe isn't being discussed. Do I agree with anyone spending that amount of money for clothing? No. It's foolish. You can look polished and put together for a hundred bucks. Appearances are important, but I'm not voting for someone based on the social status of their shoe designer! In fact, that's a turn off to me. Our worth should be decided by our character. And someone who claims to represent our country of "Joe the Plumbers" (oh, I just puked in my mouth a little) isn't representing "us" very accurately. I'd be hard pressed to find one of my friends who could afford such a spree, and even more hard pressed to find one that would.

Yes, this is the joy of election year. The non-stop mudslinging and character assassination infecting our brains and households in an attempt to influence our vote.

I think Sara Palin needs to really think about what she stands for. Or, at least, what she wants us to believe she stands for. Perhaps, in the big scheme of things, wardrobe expenses are trivial. However, in a time when most Americans are struggling to simply hang on to whatever it is they have, I have a problem with a potential Vice President finding such frivolous expenses acceptable.

And we, we need to rethink our own priorities... what we stand for. What we want our country to stand for. We can't afford to sit back on our laurels and wait for things to magically change. We can't simply hope for the world to become a better place. We have to make that change. Make this world a better place. Stand up for ourselves, and each other. Care. Care about what's going on. Care about our community, our environment, our economy, our jobs, our families, our neighbors.

Again... please vote. I'm not here to tell you what the right choice is. That is up to you. But I am going to say, that you MUST really examine the issues at hand... and reexamine your role in our future! VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!!

No comments: