Monday, August 18, 2008

Today's Reality


I faxed my resume this morning for a position in a urologist's office. The add for the job was brief, only containing the position title, a fax number, and an extensive list of benefits. It offers no holidays, no weekends, 401k, paid vacation, health, dental, and vision insurance. Perfect! However, I would be a fool to think I am the only one who noticed that! Here's hoping that my resume made it to the "keep" pile, and that I will get an interview!


The rest of the day, I searched Career Builder, Monster, Indeed, Hot Jobs, and the local hospital website. I also swiped my mother's newspaper and pawed through the classifieds. Today's reality: just one potential job listing. The one I sent the resume to this morning.


I currently have 10 weeks of unemployment left, and ten weeks goes by pretty damn fast. I am still hopeful. I have to be. I'd be kidding you, and myself, if I didn't admit that this particular journey has been a challenge. Gone are the days of walking in to a business, applying, getting an interview and getting the job. Welcome to the easily rejected age of technology! Yes, it is wonderful to have the ability to send out resumes at 3 a.m. when you can't sleep because you are worried about surviving. But, once you have sent well over 30 resumes and cover letters and not gotten a single call, you begin to wonder if there's "anybody out there."


1 comment:

Anon said...

You can't beat the personal touch. I would still make phone calls and visit places in person.

I can't help but think that the employers are tired of "virtual applicants" and would be pleasantly refreshed by a smart young woman striding confidently to the desk...smart resume in hand.

Try every tactic...
...and try that book!

Rooting for ya!