Thursday, August 21, 2008

Someone. Somewhere. Somebody?


OUCH! My brain hurts! I just got back from "orientation" for the education program through unemployment. No one warned me that we would have to use our brains and take placement exams! I would have gotten a few more hours of sleep! The reading test was a piece of cake... but the math... HOLY SHIT! The questions progressed from 1+1= ____ to some crazy algebraic equations that I just wasn't confident I remembered how to solve! I took algebra 25 years ago! Hello!?!? Some days I'm lucky enough to remember the last 25 minutes! It's crazy how much we learn in our lives that gets lost in the clutter of our minds! You know, those moments when you are watching Jeopardy and the answer is somewhere in your noggin, you know it is. You can picture the teacher's sneer. The pitiful polyester pants. The booger-nosed kid next to you. The fall leaves twirling to the ground... but NOT the answer!

The orientation was deceptively titled. It should have been called a paper work frenzy! We didn't get a single detail about the program until the last 5 minutes! Apparently, the government offers employers that cooperate with the program a monetary incentive to hire you, a "dangled carrot." We all know that we live in a WIIFM society (What's in it for me?!)... so I liked the sound of that! Once our files are complete they "get the ball rolling" for training and education. The only item I need for my file is a verification of termination of employment from my former employer. They fought my unemployment! Having to depend on them to fill something out that doesn't benefit them in anyway is concerning! I attempted to send the fax yesterday morning, afternoon and evening to no avail. Thankfully the orientation leader offered to fax it for me after I twice expressed my distrust in them to return it in a timely fashion.

Sometimes I find the red-tape and hoop-jumping of society a little disturbing. When someone takes the initiative to better themselves, why toss in all of the detours and speed bumps? We are taught in school, and by the hard knocks of life, that the only person we can truly count on is ourselves... so why do we constantly have to rely on someone in some office somewhere doing something other than filling out a form we need to prove that we are somebody?

No comments: