Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Swallowing


Sheesh! I'm tired! Alarm went off at 7:00 a.m. and I GOT UP! Stumbled to the shower and washed off the discouragement of yesterday. Nervous that my dress pants might not fit after a few depression-fueled episodes of "Ben &Jerry's," I took a deep breath, exhaled and wriggled into them. Packed like summer sausage in plastic, I was dressed and ready to go!

The position I submitted for today is at a dentist's office, but he is home recovering from hip surgery, so I was only able to speak with an assistant. I was sure to do the handshake thing and thank her for her time. She wasn't sure how the dentist plans to address hiring and theorized that he may do telephone interviews.

I have not yet heard anything from the urologist's office. Wouldn't it be fun to say, "Piss off!" or "Don't get pissy with me!" Yeah, I know, I'm an ass!

Later, I went to the unemployment office and did the leg work for a state program that pays tuition for in-demand occupations. JUST having finished school, I'm apprehensive to sign up for more late-night dates with textbooks... But, the hard reality is, my degree doesn't really give me an edge in any particular field, and there aren't any damn jobs out there!!!! I have a solid work history, extensive management experience and an education, and I'm NOT getting any calls. Makes me wonder who IS! My appointment is at 8:50 a.m. so no sleeping the day away tomorrow either!

I'm also swallowing my pride today and turning in my food assistance papers today. I've had them filled out for three months. I'm not one to admit that I need help or to accept it when it is offered, so this is a very big deal to me. I believe I only qualify for $40 a month, but with no job prospects and rising food and gas prices... I've got to suck it up and take the help while it's there. I've worked my entire life and was laid-off permanently, with no warning. "I just feel like other people need it more than I do" I told my friend Kim. She boldly declared, "What, are you trying to tell me you are the ONLY human being that doesn't need to EAT!?" Gotta love her. She backed up her argument with the fact that I have been a tax-paying citizen for 22 years... True. I surrender. I admit it. I'm broke. I'm poor. I'm hanging on by the seat of my tight dress pants...

No comments: