Saturday, August 30, 2008

Date Day... Doomsday?


It's Saturday. My first date in 5 weeks is scheduled to occur in 5 hours. Currently, I'm in a state of serious unsexiness! I have yet to even comb my hair! (Hey, it looked pretty good when I got up.)

I'm headed out for a brief sun-bathing stint to try to jump start my date mood. But, I'm not sure it's going to come back! Patrick and I talked on the phone last night and not only did he sound troubled about what exactly we were going to do... He also gave me the impression that going to an art museum would be something he would avoid because it isn't "manly." One of the best adventures I had ever been on, was a trip to the Musee' de Picasso in Paris, France. He exclaimed, "Why would you go to PARIS??!! I would never go to Paris. They hate Americans there. They are rude and throw piss at ya!"

"Have you ever been to Paris?"

"No."

"Then how would you know? It was a beautiful country. Everyone was very nice. You just have to understand the language and culture. I took French for four years."

"You took French?!" (laughter)

(I'm now irritated.)

"Let me guess. Everyone else is rude and ignorant, and we should just blow up all foreign countries and leave the planet for the redneck Americans to rule?" (yep, I got hostile, but in a very sweet tone."

I love people. Culture. Architecture. Different language. Accents. New places. World Peace. Patrick is now coming across to me as a very narrow-minded, ex high school jock (didn't we hate those guys?), who is afraid of risking his ultra-macho homophobic image, by going to an art museum. So-not-attractive.

He tried to make up for it by stating that he loves architecture and asking me about my own art. "I'd like to see some of your stuff."

I'm not sure what you will get to see, Patrick.

He also, get this, poo-pooed me wearing a dress. Thought it would be "too fancy." None of his dates has worn a dress. It's a casual dress... I explain... no bows or ballgown silhouettes. He was still completely opposed to it.

This date has surely gone from potentially hot, to potentially not. I will honor my commitment. However, I am truly tempted to not comb my hair or shower, find a pair of denim bib overalls and greet him at the door with a nice big, "Howdy!"

No comments: