Tuesday, August 26, 2008

On The Fence


The interview. It's been awhile since I have interviewed for a job, but I think it went very well! The gentleman, Chris, that interviewed me was very personable and positive. He graduated from the same university as I just have and that seemed oddly exciting to him! The woman that I will be replacing (she's moving to Florida) made a point to tell Chris that when I came in I "just lit up the room!" Either she's itching to get to Florida before winter arrives, or I gave her a good vibe.


Chris took me on a tour of the building. It was well kept and every staff member we encountered seemed genuinely happy to be there. I'm not a fan of working in negative environments, so I look for people who are reaching for razorblades to slit their wrists. None.


During the initial phone call, Chris had mentioned that if the interview went well, he would introduce me to the president. I was introduced to the president! SHE was a very lovely, professional, but approachable, woman. However, it was not just an introduction! She asked the typically tough and twisty interview questions.


"What would frustrate you at work?"


"Something that would disappoint me, more than frustrate me, would be negativity." (Good answer??)


"Negativity is something that would bother me as well, Mona. I'm not a Polly Anna, but I do tend to look at the brighter side of things." Now THAT was a good answer.


So, Chris and I went to the same university, and Gloria (the president) and I have the same feelings toward negativity. I was impressed with the people, what the company stands for, and the overall environment. I think they were impressed with me as well. Gloria had urged Chris to get me to fill out the criminal background paperwork "with the holidays coming up," so there isn't a delay. I'm no Human Resources expert, but I think that shows an intent to hire. My previous experience is that background checks cost the company money, and they would not perform one if they weren't seriously interested in hiring you.


Here's my situation... the job is with an educational establishment. I was previously pursuing education and will always love education. Plus. I love change for the better, inspirational stories. This establishment helps a lot of "non traditional" students attain an education that leads them to better paying jobs and a better future. Plus. The pay is $10,000 more that my unemployment, but $10,000 less than my previous income from my last job. A plus and a negative... which if I remember this correctly, equals zero mathematically. My previous job offered ZERO benefits. This job would offer health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k, and tuition reimbursement. Plus. My previous job was a 15 minute commute (one way). This job would be a 40 minute commute (one way). I don't mind the drive really... but we all know how expensive gas can get! At $4 a gallon... it would cost me $2000 annually to drive to work, and I would be putting 19,000 miles on my car each year as well. OUCH!


Basically, it's the money that has me on the fence. But, I am a person who values a positive environment and rewarding job over a fat paycheck. Some friends, whose opinions I value, have mentioned that it is easier to find a job when you already have one. I spoke to Chris and Gloria about possible promotions to other positions in the future, which was a gamble, but they both seemed to embrace the idea. I could recoup some money by taking advantage of the tuition and 401k, and my insurance costs would be reduced by $60 monthly...


I sent both Chris and Gloria a handwritten thank you card. I hope to get their decision by next week. I'm going to trust fate on this one.

No comments: