Friday, August 15, 2008

State of Mind


I have returned from the wild! Back from a couple days out in the middle of nowhere, in a beautiful, Frank Lloyd Wright-ish millionaire's "poolhouse." An incredible structure! Beautiful view of the lake, and plenty of woods to hike through. I went "communication device" free... no internet or cell phone. Completely unplugged.


Aside from being lined up like soldiers in a barrack to sleep, it was a very enjoyable experience. Visited with family that I hadn't seen in years. Dysfunction was tolerable, and conversations priceless. I did have to spend a ridiculous amount of time reassuring everyone that I was not loafing around and ambitionless! Most of them have no clue what a blog is, so explaining to them what I have been doing with my down time was a little exhausting. Dodged a few "I'll pray that you find your dream job, or at least a rich husband" comments, and argued the others. It will never cease to amaze me how few people understand that you CAN be happy without a significant other... and even without a job!! Happiness is a state of mind, not a state of attainment! Come on people!!!


(I'm sharing one of the sources of inspiration with you... the beautiful sunset... paradise for the mind!)

3 comments:

Anon said...

Looks like one of the Great Lakes! Used to live in Sturgeon Bay, WI. Favorite childhood memories and some of my favorite country.

Yes happiness is a state of mind, and somehow I've lost track of that...way lost track of that.

Point taken.

Mona Lake said...

That's pretty damned impressive. It was Sturgeon Bay.

Anon said...

Serendipetous.

You were meant to be there.
I was meant to listen.