Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My New "Romance"


Just as the gladiolas have decided to bloom, I have decided to open up my "petals" and enjoy the sun. I went outside for a bit, with some work, ice water, and a radio. The sky was radiant. Powdery-blue. Birds flitting about, squirrels stealing apples from the neighbor's tree. I was comfy... relaxed... until a bead of sweat rolled down my face... It was HOT AS BLAZES! Apparently, I did not get the memo that our "misery index" was quite high here. I lasted a whole 45 minutes before I sought the cool consolation of the indoors.

I quickly grabbed a refreshing shower, got dressed and headed out. I went to the post office to mail some birthday cards and a bill. Then I went to the library. I haven't been to the library in years. I do know how to read. And I like to read. But, I've been bogged down with text books since January and have not managed to do much "pleasure reading." Something about the library really stimulated me. I wandered the aisles with a gleeful gaze. So many intriguing covers and titles. Something about the atmosphere had me aching to cozy up with a book.

Reality set in.

I don't have enough free time to check out 2o books that beg for my brain's attention, so I selected one. "How to Become a Famous Writer Before You're Dead," by Ariel Gore. I can think of a lot worse things to become before I die, so I thought I would check it out. When I was a young girl, I was published in a local collection in third grade. All through high school and into college, my teachers encouraged me to write. I've always enjoyed it. I love the escape into emotion it provides while you focus on your pen and paper, or the laptop keyboard. I crave the freedom of uninterrupted expression. The solitude and intimacy between your mind and the written word. Writing and I have reunited after being apart for many, many years.

Writing is filling a void for me. It is helping me process my circumstances and emotions. I have no expectation to become a "Famous Writer Before I'm Dead," but I will entertain the small voice that is guiding me to do so. And just as I have survived many a conversation with no one listening, I will survive writing with no one reading... if that shall be the case. Right now, I will revel in the romance I'm having.. with my mind.

2 comments:

Anon said...

I'm reading. ;-)

Mona Lake said...

And I thank you. Sincerely. Whole-heartedly! xoxo