Friday, December 5, 2008

Scrabble Babble


So, I've got myself a problem. I've become an addict. A Scrabble addict. Seems there is a Scrabble game online, and since I have no job, nor screaming children to tend to... I find myself playing Scrabble, a tad bit obsessively.


I'd call myself a nerd, but that's only a five point word, unless you place it on a double word square. So, I'm going to call myself a dork... a much better choice at nine points.


As a kid (seven points), I remember playing Scrabble at grandma's house being a damn good time, especially after learning all sorts of "grown up" words (nine points) in third grade. So, my little love affair (twelve points) with words has been my longest running romance (eleven points).


Last Christmas, a fancy (thirteen points) Scrabble game was on my list. Seems through the ingenuity (thirteen points) of some Parker Brothers game board designer, they now make the games on a turntable. Back in the day, my forward-thinking grandma placed the board on a lazy (sixteen points) susan. Good idea, however, not for an overly-eager, overly-dorky, too-hard turning kid who seemed to always make the letters fly off the edges from the sudden centripetal (fourteen points) force!


I got TWO Scrabble games last Christmas, both with the turntable feature, and one being the fancy-shmancy "Black Onyx" edition. The only time I have opened the games was to use them as props for photographs (see above). I actually have a friend or two that would happily (fifteen points) play. Why haven't I elisted them for the vocabulary (twenty points!) induced torture? Have I become an introvert? No way! Extrovert is worth seven more points!


So here I sit, on my sure-to-be-growing-wider-soon ass, about ready to log on for my fix (thirteen points). And in the privacy (seventeen points) of my own home, I'll be talking outloud to my opponent, telling them to hurry up, getting pissed when they let the timer run out more than one time, and honestly getting excited (sixteen points) when I kick their ass!


I figure, I'm exercising (seventeen points) my brain and hopefully preventing the onset of Alzheimer's, although, living the unemployed (seventeen points) life doesn't require much of a memory (thirteen points). I'm expanding my vocabulary as well, which allows me to more effectively (twenty four points, yes!!) annoy the shit out of any remaining friends I may have in my life. I don't think an intervention will be necessary, at least not until I stop looking for jobs and decide I'll make a living on the National Scrabble Association circuit and wear adult diapers to prevent game interruption!

1 comment:

Anon said...

Who knew SCRABBLE could be so...sexy! (sixteen points)

Breathtaking picture.

Very entertaining blog!