Friday, December 5, 2008

Loading My Weapons

Well, this week has been pretty slow for job hunting. I had one telephone interview for the part-time job at the community college, and got rejected for future consideration. I only located one posting remotely matching my qualifications, and sent out my application, resume and cover letter.

It's time for a new approach, a refined plan of attack.

Because our local news reports at least 300 job losses in our state daily, I have decided to ditch the "on the job training" option for the program I entered at the unemployment office. With jobs disappearing at this rate, enlisting the staff to help me find what isn't there just doesn't make sense. So, I have decided to take an aggressive approach to maximize my time and options.

I officially began the process to start my tuition reimbursement option, and have decided to pursue an Associate's degree in Human Services. Due to the overwhelming number of people in the program, my official appointment won't occur until January 28th. This means that I will either have to use student loans to get started right away in January, or wait until April for the next classes to start. Wait? More waiting? While the whole world falls apart? No thanks!

My plan of attack will be to take at least two classes beginning in January. My previous credits earned there, in addition to my transferring credits from the university, will hopefully make this a short journey. While I am waiting for classes to start, I will be teaching myself Spanish with CDs I checked out from the library. I also picked up a "Teach Yourself Visually Microsoft Office" book. The goal now is to acquire as much ammunition as possible to job hunt with my "guns a blazin'!"

Planning a return to school before my Bachelor's of Science degree commencement even occurs seems kind of nutty to me... but serious things are going on in this world of ours, things that require serious action!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You appear to be a woman of Action.