Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Let it Be Known...

Let it be known that I do not have any intentions of going out with Wizzer again! There should be no confusion there. I wasn't terribly impressed with his behavior before his blatant disregard for human decency.

I'd like to point out that online dating is a daunting adventure and one could easily become jaded as a result of such repulsive experiences... Online dating sites are a literal paradise for perverts and predators seeking lonely, vulnerable women lacking self-esteem. And by predators, I don't necessarily mean rapists or murderers, I mean any man who seeks to take advantage of someone who is easily taken advantage of. Instead of being discouraged, I see these experiences as powerful reminders to honor and respect yourself and make the existence of that honor and respect a mandatory prerequisite. Don't start dating, especially seeking a relationship online, until you are of sound mind!

Are all the men on online dating sites shameless jerks looking to violate women? NO! But, you have to set healthy boundaries that don't allow the ones that are to put themselves in a position to violate your moral or physical makeup. It takes work.

I recently read an article about a woman who went on 100 dates in one year before she met the man she eventually married. I can tell you right now that I'm not likely to replicate that mission. That's 2 dates a week! How utterly exhausting! I've gone on two dates in three months... granted I had more serious things to worry about, like keeping my job and mom's cancer. Regardless, I'd rather do my best to make sure I don't have to meet another Wizzer than focus on scheduling 98 more dates before the end of the year. I still believe less is more.


Online dating isn't fun, but for those of us who work and don't wish to spend our evenings trying not to fall off a bar stool while we attempt to determine if there are actually two incredibly handsome identical twins in front of us or we've just had way too much to drink... it's a necessary evil.

1 comment:

Glen Hartjes said...

Sounds like you have put all of this in the proper perspective, and have your head on straight. I knew you would... So, step back up to the plate and take another swing. No need to be afraid of the online thing, just move slow, no need to rush...