Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gains, Trains, and Automobiles...

As I was losing excitement about dating, it seems I was gaining a little weight. Hardly the plan I agreed to with my co-workers, yes, I have gained 1 1/2 pounds since Superbowl Sunday. More accurately, I gained 1 1/2 pounds ON Superbowl Sunday. This small setback is not a complete disaster, but it is a source of frustration, considering I worked out 6 days out of 7 that week. And wouldn't it be nice to be able to comfortably slip into my "cute" jeans, instead of wrestling them over my now-rounder thighs, only to find the sight of these once cute jeans vacuum packed onto my ass slightly disturbing?

I'll admit that I have been tempted to temporarily postpone dating until I fit into those damn jeans again... but I'm just not that out of shape and I can't continue to allow myself to find reasons not to pursue romance in my life. It's truly an issue of finding something that fits properly and is season appropriate (we're buried in snow here) that makes you feel capable of attracting the opposite sex. If I were going to a business meeting... I'd have no qualms about it. 98% of my winter wardrobe is compiled of "work" clothes. The other 2%? Yeah, that's the shit that doesn't fit.

Disregarding our city-shutdown snowstorm, my ill-fitting clothes, and those ever-present first online date anxieties, I decided to take a risk for once. I just bought round-tip train tickets for this coming weekend so I can meet this fellow I've been corresponding with for a few weeks.

What?! Have I lost my bloody mind?

I've never ridden a train. I've never met this man. I've never ridden a train to meet a man I've never met! But, I've always wanted to ride a train, and I've always wanted to meet a nice man... so now I've gone and done it! What the hell I say. I think. By taking the train, I'll be trying something new, and I won't have to worry about bad roads, car accidents, or getting lost. I've ridden the subways in New York and the Metro in Paris... but never an "old school" rail car. The fellow is rather interesting to me: a nice mix of intelligence, humor, and creative drive. Our conversations have been mostly intellectual and have never included discussions of boobs, nor has he audibly urinated on the phone. Our date could be a little strange because it falls on Valentine's Day weekend and we are likely to be surrounded by googly-eyed lovebirds feeding each other cake with red frosting, but I think I'll take that over spending another "romantic" holiday alone, where it's safe, and boring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant help but worry about you meeting men online but I have been married to 3 who werent what they appeared to be so I have no room to talk. It sounds like a fun date with the train and all.

Mona Lake said...

I completely understand, and share some of that worry. However, with the modern age and my eligible bachelor-free lifestyle, I have to take this chance. I assure you I am very cautious! And as you said, we may never truly know a person's character... regardless of how we encounter them.

Don't hold someone else's failure to measure up against yourself! Learn from the past, and use that knowledge in the future. That's all we can do!

Anonymous said...

Rail cars just have romance written all over them, at least in the movies. I hope this one has a happy ending for you. Clickity clack, clickity clack.