Monday, February 2, 2009

Good Deed #8 Squirrel Rescue


I was on my way to my ceramics class... changing the station on the radio, when... I literally caught the tail-end of a grey squirrel headed under my car. Without considering the potential risks to my own safety, I instantly slammed on the brakes.

How I did not kill that squirrel is beyond my comprehension! He had to have gotten an up-close view of my tire treads and a lung full of exhaust. Right as the guilt of committing murder was starting to settle in, I saw the squirrel dive across the curb to safety!

Saving this squirrel's life was important for two reasons: I'm like Snow White when it comes to animals, and grey squirrels are actually rather rare here. In fact, about ten years ago, a man had written a letter to the editor of our local newspaper and blamed whoever brought black squirrels to the area for the demise of the local grey squirrel population. After reading that, I made a point to look for grey squirrels when I was outside. I didn't see a single one for a several years! And since becoming aware of this issue, I have only seen about a half dozen.

Not only would the squirrel have died, I would have died. I won't even kill a spider. I kindly let them outside to explore the natural world that they were intended to live in. If I would have killed that squirrel, I guarantee you that I would have cried... within 30 seconds, and I would have carried some guilt about it for quite some time. So I suppose the squirrel should get credit for a good deed as well. Had he not been capable of leaping like a gazelle escaping the jaws of a hungry lion, I would have gone into a temporary depression, and been psychologically damaged by the vision of his squirrel parts splattered on the pavement.

No comments: