Friday, February 6, 2009

Good Deed #9 Head Hunter


Earlier this afternoon, I was passing the time playing a game of Scrabble. Since I finally broke my 500 point mark, TWICE, I find myself that much more obsessed with maximizing my score. Needless to say, I'm not up for idle chit chat in the side screen, but today a fellow Michigander and I wound up as opponents. It's crazy to think that out of the some 14,000 in the world people playing Scrabble, my opponent happened to reside in a city that is only 45 minutes away. And guess what? She's unemployed too!

Competition for jobs here is beyond tough. The state boasts 1 out of 10 are unemployed, and some counties are even higher... 2 out of 10. It is tempting to keep job leads to yourself, but if I'm looking at the bigger picture, I want any and everyone to survive. Somebody has to pay taxes to keep assistance programs afloat! So instead of keeping my job hunting sites to myself, I decided to share the best performing, yet somehow not so well known, site with her.

"Thanks a lot" she typed.

"You're very welcome. I know how tough it is. So I try to help whenever I can... try and save SOMEBODY!" I replied.

When there isn't much tangible hope out there, you start banking on Karma. Now if I can just convince my utility companies to accept that currency, I'll be as good as gold!

No comments: