Sunday, February 22, 2009

Good Deed #13: Resume Service

It's Sunday. MY day. Day of rest. Day of cleaning. Day of eating and watching stupid movies on Lifetime... whatever I want it to be. I settled into my pile of life-saving throw blankets on the couch, and got ready to lazily decide what to do with my day, when I opened my email.

Last night, my brother and I were talking on the phone, and before we hung up, he had mentioned that he was trying to get his resume in order. He joined the ranks of the unemployed about eight weeks ago. Having played the "Resumes in Space" game as an unemployed person for the past ten months, I am very familiar with how daunting the task of writing a resume, and customizing it for every job you apply for can be. Knowing how unbelievably competitive it is here for any type of work, I didn't want my brother to lose the job race because of a bad resume.

"If you need any help with your resume, I'd be happy to do whatever I can. At this point, I'd consider myself a semi-professional resume writer!"

I didn't think he'd take me up on it, but sure enough, there was his resume in my email box, just waiting for my examination. My brother has a Ph.D! Unfortunately, his credentials are most suited to the auto-industry... which we all know is breaking down bolt by bolt every day. Some alternative careers he is considering are professorship, and solar energy design and production. But these days, us unemployed people are prepared to stock lipstick at Walgreen's to avoid homelessness... regardless of the magnitude of our education or work experience.

My last class at the university was "Practical Writing." We wrote press releases, professional letters and memos, business brochures, instruction manuals, and you guessed it, resumes. At first I thought the class would be a tedious bore, but the skills mastered have been rather advantageous. Learning the tricks, and silly unwritten rules of resume writing, like which buzzwords are "out," sure comes in handy when you are out of work and competing against thousands of people for lipstick stocking jobs at Walgreen's.

My brother's resume was awful! The information itself, was of course, impressive, but the format was not going to get him where he wants to be. I tried to just look at it, and then spend the day watching garbage on T.V. and eating garbage... but I just couldn't! So there I was... fixing my brother's resume, before I had even combed my hair or finished my coffee. I forwarded the revised version in a more appealing and appropriate format, with an email containing the "secrets" to successful resume writing.

Resumes are always critical to getting the job you want... but these days, many of us are simply trying to get the job we need! Now that technology has robbed us of being able to make an in-person impression, it is critical that your resume is free of errors, and in a format that stands out but is still appropriate. If you use resources at the library, or on the internet, make sure they are current. The resume game is ever-changing. There are actually trends in resume wording and format. If you can't afford a professional service (they are pricey!), at least find a few friends to review your resume, and maybe even find one that has experience in resume writing. And if you do actually have the opportunity to send a "hard copy" of your resume, don't forget that you have to have it on the fancy-shmancy paper. Don't get crazy and buy some pink and blue polka dotted stuff! Keep it simple, and professional, and make sure your envelope matches! Yes, this stuff is expensive... but it's tax deductible, so keep track of your job hunting expenses!

No comments: