Friday, January 22, 2010

Debriefing


No, this isn't a post about removing a man's underwear...


Mother's unexpected surgery led to a busier than expected week and less frequent posting. In honor of my beloved efficiency, I will summarize the week's goings-on (or lack thereof):


Mom did well with her surgery. Because it was less extensive, she didn't have to have as much anesthesia, which was quite comforting to know. She is back to living with a drain and having a visiting nurse. To help fight the infection, she is also on antibiotics. Yesterday, she had her appointment with the oncologist, during which they decided she should proceed with hormone therapy. Personally, I was very worried about the thought of her enduring chemotherapy. She's already in a vulnerable state of health, and chemo isn't for sissies! Let's just hope this works and she is on the road to a cancer-free life!


There's not much action on the dating front, but I did make a bold move and called one of the contenders. I got his voice mail. Making a phone call is really no big deal in the real world of dating, but when we're talking about the online oddity... things transpire quite differently, if you are smart, that is. At this point, I'm rather intrigued by two gentlemen, and shockingly enough, I'm considering giving "the Wizzer" a chance to redeem himself... from relieving himself. We spoke briefly tonight and he made some points I couldn't argue with. He thinks I should just take a chance and meet up with him this weekend. For me, it's more of an issue of whether or not I have something cute to wear that actually fits! My pre-Halloween/Christmas candy jeans are just a wee-bit too tight... and would make me look slutty, or fat; the jeans I bought on December 30th for this very reason, are now so big they look like I crapped my pants. So what's a girl to do? I suppose I could opt for the always-fits skirt (which would require going on a fancier date) or simply wait a week or so until I lose a few more inches to fit into my used-to-be-cute jeans. Do men have to deal with this shit? I mean, really.


On the subject of weight loss, I have been eating well, for the most part. The photo is of last night's dinner: a small chicken breast that marinated in fat-free Italian dressing overnight and was then baked in the oven, some very delicious veggies, and a helping of Spanish rice. It would have been an evening to be proud of, except for desert, I ate about 9 Hershey's kisses... some were almond, some mint, some candy cane (I don't like the plain ones). Both the girls in the office ate Twix bars this afternoon. I did not!! A small victory for me!
When I pulled in the drive from work, I was greeted by a small group of strangers. This poor man with his two teen boys in tow had just hit a dog on the busy street that runs parallel to mine. Not only was he kind enough to stop, he followed the dog as it ran into the yard on the other side of the fence. This poor animal had bled quite a bit and suffered a serious injury to its hind leg. If that man had simply driven off, we would not have known the dog was there and it surely would have died... cold and alone in the bright red snow. The officer that responded to our call was a very nice man who pulled some strings to get the dog in for medical treatment. It had a collar, but no tags, so we couldn't contact the owner. I made my cat say a little prayer with me in hopes the dog survives and lives a long and happy life. Well, maybe the cat didn't pray, but I like to believe she is gracious, considering she was rescued as well.
My brother is coming to my rescue shortly. I ordered a large cabinet to fill the hole in my living room that resulted from rearranging the furniture to accommodate the now-taken-down Christmas tree. I found the new furniture arrangement actually made better use of my living space, and it would be lovely to have a place to drop my keys when I come in the door, since I rarely seem to know where they are. However, the cabinet arrived sooner than expected and I'm tired of looking at this big box with its utterly incomprehensible assembly directions. Normally, I'm very handy and competent, but these directions are the kind that only an engineer's mind would appreciate. My brother has an engineering background (and hopefully more patience than I do!).
Once again, I forgot to make plans for the weekend. Now, my exciting, romance-lacking weekend consists of assembling a cabinet tonight, and tending to the oven while my friend is at her brother's funeral so people have something to eat when they come to her house on Sunday. I REALLY need to find more enjoyable alternatives for the weekend!

1 comment:

Virgtastic said...

Do you know how much I love your blog? I mean REALLY love your blog? I've even tried to get friends to start reading it. It should be a NY Times Best Seller!!! Died laughing at your title and first sentence :P

I might have to post a past dating nightmare or two soon. Lord knows I enjoy reading yours - haha just kidding ;)