Monday, March 30, 2009

All Ya Gotta Do Is Ask!


Due to my "last minute" withdrawal from my full-time job, I hadn't written a schedule at the part-time job for the current week. For about 45 minutes, I laid in bed this morning and strongly considered taking the day off. No one was expecting me! I could have easily gotten away with it; but, I soon realized that if I'm going to make this whole life path vs. reality thing happen, I'd best get the hell out of bed!


Because I spent my morning work out time, and the majority of my regular routine, in the lazy comfort of my cozy bed... I had no time for breakfast. My punishment. Off the door I went, with my coffee-for-breakfast thermal mug... and my stomach already growling. Where's a damn butler when you need one?


As soon as I got in the office, I checked my email. A guy that I dated some 17 years ago works in an office across the hall from mine, and since discovering our close proximity, we exchange non-productive, smart ass emails throughout the work day. I read his email from Friday afternoon, and replied:


"Hope you woke up in time to make it home from your boring meeting. Hey, do you guys have any food over there? I'm hungry!"


After sending my email, I walked down the hall to the copy room. Someone had performed some serious voodoo on both machines, and neither myself or the other in-need-of-copies guy there could figure out what the problem was... so I went right back to the office to wait out the evil "spell." When I got back in... I found a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts on my desk and a perplexed co-worker, laughing about the random appearance of sinful, sugary doughnuts on my

desk.


"Who are you?! GOD?" I emailed back. "How the hell do you get doughnuts that fast?!" I inquired in astonishment.


"Some vendors brought in 2 boxes this morning and we are all on diets. Well except for me, I ate two." He responded.


"Dudes on diets? What, is there some kind of Speedo Convention coming to town?" I jeered.


"No. We're just a bunch of narcissistic geeks..."


Hilarious! Our staff consists of 6 women, five of which are on diets. Who's the one that isn't? Um. That would be me! Their office staff consists of 5 guys. I didn't realized that guys actually dieted... and admitted it, to women nonetheless.


Something I have learned on my life journey over the past few years is to ask for what you need. Now I can readily admit that I wasn't going to die without those doughnuts being graciously delivered to my desk, but it sure was an unexpected treat! Not only was I hungry, I had been secretly craving doughnuts for days! Who'd have thought that your needs could be met so easily? I think tomorrow I'll ask if they have any money...

No comments: