Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Writer: A Thinking Man

Here's a good one. So, I'm back in college, again, finally completing the Bachelor's Degree I started some 18 years ago. I have an English class that qualifies for my lacking Humanities credit. We are required to read 5 books in eight weeks. I haven't read 5 books in the last five years! It's an intense course. Discussion board posts, quizzes... papers. I read book number 5. A book that I NEVER would have chosen to read on my own, as it is about war and I am a peace-love-and-happiness kind of girl. Somehow, while reading the book, I acquire a bizarre crush on the author. I enjoyed "defending" him on our classroom discussion board, as I firmly believed in his mission. I admired his courage. Fast-forward. I'm on MySpace passing the time. I search his name. I write him an email expressing how great I thought his book was and that I was glad to have been "forced" to read it. I coyly express my "bizarre crush."

He writes back; requests me as a friend.

To be continued...

No comments: