Sunday, March 14, 2010

Time. Change.

This morning was my first morning of daylight savings time. I had forgotten all about it, so when I woke up with my alarm clock on the left reading 8:52, and the cable box clock to the right reading 9:52... I momentarily thought my bed was in fact the Twilight Zone!

My second date guy sent me his usual early-riser text message, and woke me up. I wasn't excited about that because today was one of those rainy-my-bed-feels-like-heaven-and-I'll-just-sleep-off-the-hunger days so I waited an hour then texted back saying, "I think whomever wakes me up should have to feed me breakfast." Wouldn't you know, he wanted to take me out for breakfast. Now I've gone and done it. I have to comb my hair!

This guy had been a champ about trying to get a third date with me but I was riddled with a terrible toothache and no hope for a dentist appointment until the 22nd. Fully aware of my pain-induced lack of charm, and flat out crabbiness, I thought it best to postpone our next meeting. Thankfully, I was able to score some antibiotics from a desperate visit to the med service clinic and was pain free... out of excuses not to see him again.

We met in our almost-usual small town which is the middle ground between our homes. He took me to a nice restaurant full of Sunday Best dressed church goers. Behind us sat a family with two adorable little girls, one who was not so happy to be trapped in a high chair and began wailing rather loudly. I caught myself awaiting his reaction. Examining his ability to deal with crying children. What the hell has happened to me? Am I seriously considering motherhood?!

Previous self-evaluation, and long-winded conversations with my also significant other challenged friend, led me to understand that I am not very familiar with emotionally available people. Especially in romantic relationships. This guy just keeps upping the ante on me and I've definitely struggled with it a bit. A little bit. But... I have (secretly) struggled.

Speaking of struggling, the weight war is in full force! Our original office weight loss deadline is March 29th and there has been talk of an extension since none of us have had remarkable success. Since the treadmill is back in my possession... I have been on it nearly every day. Late this afternoon, I actually worked out for 60 minutes and according to the display, I burned 571 calories. There is hope that I won't wake up with my french toast breakfast visibly attached to my thighs! I don't want to be a quitter. A sell out. A cheat. I want to stick to my original, what I thought was easy, goal. That means I have 14 days to lose about 9 pounds... oh shit!

1 comment:

Glen Hartjes said...

Sounds like things are going well, happy for you!