Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Putting Zee Foot in Zee Mouth!


Tonight was our "Raku" firing for our ceramic pieces. It's a no-frills Japanese method involving metal trash cans, crumpled newspaper and lighter fluid. Because I was away at a work conference, I had to join the beginners group for their firing tonight; a group of people I had not met before. Us creative "weirdos" have an instantaneous bond. Kind of like computer geeks, musicians, compulsive shoppers... you know... you just "get" each other. It's a very casual outdoor evening, with a pot luck of tasty creative cuisine, and intriguing chit-chat. Feeling right at home, I was being my usual idiot self.


So there I was, cooling my fresh-from-the-fire bowl, when I overheard a distinctively French accent. I looked up from my smoldering clay to examine the source of this melodic voice; only to see a somewhat attractive man. Hmmm. Monsieur Cute Guy. In standard dipshit form, I proceeded to ask where he was from.


"Here." He replied in zee Frenchest of French accents.


Yeah right. Half the men from this town can't even speak proper English, let alone pull off a convincing French accent. Explaining further, he said he travelled quite a bit while he was living in France and that was why he didn't specify his prior residence.


"What brought you here?" I asked curiously. I mean, really, I've been to France. The hell if I'd turn my back on that beautiful architecture to live in the armpit of America!


"My wife." He replied tersely.


Nice. I hit on the married French guy with a wife two feet away. Pretty smooth, Mona, pretty smooth.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, about as smooth as a runny shit.

Anonymous said...

You can hit on me anytime. I don't speak French but I do kiss French.

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, interesting piece. Is it what you expected?

Mona Lake said...

The bowl was not intended for Raku firing. I had many branches painted inside and outside that connected from every viewing angle. However, I just couldn't settle for ONE piece being Raku fired, so I threw that one in too! It's rather lovely in person (without the glare of my cheap camera flash!). And you can always LEARN French! ;)

Glen Hartjes said...

Reminded me of my high school art class. It was in the winter and we did a Raku firing at night. It was great at night with the flames and glowing pots. I recall we used sawdust and newspaper.
However there were no attractive French girls, or unattractive French girls for that matter. Big let down.
So you were not the only one striking out on Raku night...

Anon said...

I've had women...without a ring mind you...chat with me for 15 minutes or more, then casually mention their husband.

You could have done worse! :)

Mona Lake said...

True, Scott, very true. I hadn't escalated to full-on-flirting, thankfully! But the thought... just the thought was embarrassing!