Monday, August 17, 2009

Just Do It?

"Just Do It."

Most of us familiarize that phrase with Nike ads geared toward the athletic, coined in commercials featuring muscular bodies with sweat that somehow appears sexy, performing feats such as running up steep inclines or pole vaulting a bazillion feet in the air. Me? My face turns red before I begin to sweat, and I couldn't tell you confidently that I have ever felt sexy while sweating. I also couldn't tell you that I've pole vaulted recently, nor ran anywhere... except maybe the bathroom when I had a touch of food poisoning a few months ago.

My work and life schedules collided, leaving my lofty plans of transforming into a 5K runner terribly off-track. You see, I'm in charge of a community-wide event that involves three days of athletics. Last year, over 4,000 people participated. For the past two months I have been actively recruiting people to join our cause and commit to at least one event. Originally, I had opted to join the 3 man golf scramble team, and shoot for the moon (or an emergency hospital visit) by running my first ever 5K. But somewhere between painting two residences simultaneously, and a cake-eating marathon over my birthday... the only thing that was running was time, and it was running out!

So here it is, three weeks before the commencement of the events, and I've managed a meager two consecutive 30 minute workouts. I googled "how long does it take to train for a 5K" and found a website that had an article titled something like "From the Couch to 5K." Really? How did they know I was on the couch earlier, longing for a nap? According to the article, in a mere 9 weeks, if you follow their training schedule, you'll be a successful 5K runner. Great! Too bad I only have three!

Refusing to give up too easily, I decided that instead of focusing on the six weeks I was lacking, I would focus on the time that I do have. After cheer leading over 40 people for two months, it was time to root myself on. I may not have a religious, or rigorous, exercise plan, but I have stayed in reasonably good, and sometimes even great, shape the majority of my life. Worst case scenario, I'll run the One Mile, and I'll still be able to claim it to be my very first official running event. An achievement.

Wasn't I just saying I felt I was missing something?

I've roped my brother, and a good friend into a gym date tomorrow after work. My gym clothes are ready. And so am I.

I think...

No comments: