Friday, May 22, 2009

Iris Eyes a Smilin'


Despite my brush with death via disgusting gastro-intestinal distress... I have had a fabulous week! There have been challenges... yes... but just like the iris in my garden, things are lookin' up!
Work has been a lot more peaceful since we've shipped off most of the grants we have been writing, and I've continued to earn praise from my boss; a critical plus, considering we may very well face budget cuts come September. My only "complaint" is that we have switched to summer hours which means no one works in the office past noon on Fridays. Normally I'd be singing "Glory Glory Hallelujah," but now I have to find a way to squeeze four more hours into my work week on another day. Unfortunately, that may force me to once again violate my "me-day" (Monday) and risk distraction while I'm in the studio. A small sacrifice after ten long hard months of unemployment, but after being asked to have my art in an upcoming exhibit, I'd really like to focus on what I'm doing and attempt creating my first "masterpiece."
M.N.G. and I continue to weather the little storms that come our way, and he still magically calms my troubled waters. Tomorrow night, he's taking me out for dinner, and then we are going to his parents house for family game night. His sister and husband, brother and wife, will be joining us. A big to do! I'm interested to see how this goes. So far, I get along with everyone famously, but I suspect his mother is trying to solidify our bond. Not a bad thing... I'm simply wondering if an intense interview is in store! And who's going to be the victim? Me? Him? Us?
I've worked out three times this week! (Last MONTH I worked out once.) Admittedly, part of my motivation comes from the jealous bitch that claimed me to be fat and ugly, however, the majority is my need to stabilize my mind. I'd love to tell you that I'm one who is dedicated to an honorably healthy lifestyle... but the truth is, I just do it to keep my spirits up and my anxiety down. Oh, and this time, to fit into a super cute pair of capris that are just a little snug on my hormonally plumped mid-section. Some other "excuses" I could use to keep my exercise non-plan going: my 20 year class reunion is in July, my birthday is in July, and M.N.G. is taking me on a camping trip in July (read bathing suit in front of people GASP!), and I'm spearheading a community event that involves competing against about 4,000 other people in various athletic events in September. I still doubt I'll attend my class reunion... but the other "excuses" are going to happen. Couldn't be a better time to get back in shape!
My brother, mother, and I have enjoyed some nice bonding time. The three of us haven't been together in over 20 years as a family, and he's really tackling her clutter! There's a dumpster in her driveway now, and I have no doubt that he will fill it. That's about 5 really long blogs... so I'll leave it at that.
I treated a girlfriend to a pedicure and lunch. She treated me with a tanning visit. I haven't had girly girl time ever! I really enjoyed it! She's been such a big support to me over the last few years and I couldn't make her engagement party. Having the opportunity to show her that I truly appreciate all that she has done for me and don't take her for granted meant a lot to me... and my toes look great too!
An exciting weekend is in store!

No comments: