Monday, May 11, 2009

The Stranger and the Strangeness

So... my "dad" has called.

I'm not quite sure who would have given him my phone number because my entire family has taken the "just don't talk about it" approach to any paternal aspects of my life. Since everything was such a big secret, I am surprised that whomever gave him my number didn't first ask for permission.

But he's got it. And he called.

His message was pretty brief and neutral. Hearing his voice was quite strange to me, since the last time we spoke it was 1989. When he had called me then, I certainly wasn't emotionally ready to excuse him for his complete and utter absence in my life; nor was I mature enough to realize that he, himself, had his own inner battles. There were other "forces" preventing us from having any form of a relationship... and a cruel cloud of surrounding silence that neither of us fully understood.

When we spoke in 1989, I was devastated. Having my own father ask me how old I was, and when my birthday was, broke my heart. I couldn't comprehend a father not knowing when his own daughter was born. I couldn't comprehend his inability to simply say he was sorry. Knowing he had a kid out there somewhere... who could have needed him... who did need him... and simply carrying on with his life without a care in the world; how could he?


And now I'm a "grown up." Someone who admittedly has made her own serious mistakes. Participated in her own life tragedies. And most certainly, I'm tired of allowing this cancerous silence to continue. Now that I am someone who is strong enough to deal with the pain, resentment, and loss of my fatherless childhood... I'm ready to slowly let him in. I'm not going to say there isn't some level of fear involved. Having a relationship with my father could just as easily become hurtful, as it could become beautiful and rewarding. Healing.


Regardless of the outcome, he is half of who I am. Most of what I like about myself... I get from my father. This is what I have always found ironically profound. I internalized the denial of my father, as a denial of me. Add to that the failure of schools, and my family to support the creativeness that is so deeply ingrained in my very being; and you wind up with a confused little girl feeling unloved, unwanted, ashamed of who she is; trying to be something else... anything else... so that someone would love her for who she was meant to be.


We can't change the past, and that, to me, is the beauty of it. I don't have to spend months on end trying to make sense of the last 37 years without him. Trying to right all of the wrongs. Bandage all of the old wounds. I've got today, and tomorrow. I've got an open mind; a fairly healed heart, and a healthy willingness to simply meet the man who helped to create me. And hopefully, I'll find peace in discovering all of the things I didn't know, before I never get the chance.

3 comments:

Virgtastic said...

Ouch. When I was a little kid, I remember calling my dad on my birthday in case he forgot it was birthday, only to remind him, "Hi! It's my birthday today!" Smiling all the while cuz I was just happy I was talking to my dad, but so sad that he wasn't the one calling me on my birthday :( Fail. He ended up turning into an awesome dad once he battled his demons.

Anyway, I just want you to know that now, as a mother dealing with someone else's father who has his own demons to battle, it is SO much easier for me to tell my daughter with tears streaming down her face, that these are HIS problems and not hers.

**HUG** Here's a mommy hug from me :) and some mommy advise: What he did or didn't do for you was in NO WAY your fault or a reflection of you. Aaaand, that little girl inside you, she's still there and can get all that loving and attention from you, so go on and spoil her and let her come out every once and a while :)

I won't bill you for this session :P You just saved yourself $50 to $100 and now you AND "little Mona Lake" can go get some ice cream or whatever childhood yumminess you like :)

Anon said...

Touching.

And giving me some tender things to consider in the mad rush of life. Time will come, hopefully sooner than late, I will be crossing the same bridge from the other side...and that day is always deep inside my heart. Buried at times, but there, waiting. I hope to be able to make that day...and the days after...good ones...memorable ones. They are the only days left.

Best to you both for the days ahead. All the best.

Mona Lake said...

Awwww. I so just dumped Mr.Right. Or... maybe he dumped me. And if I'm being honest,it's because I don't know how to let anyone love me. Truly. Love. Me.