Monday, September 21, 2009

Creative. Thinking. Problem. Solving.


Ah-ha!


I don't have this maniacal brain for nothin'!!!


Compelled by a tortuous, continued state of pondering... I had to find a solution to making the best of my circumstances. A solution to my creative woes.


The window to my soul.


A window!


A simple opening to the magical world outside.


That's all I need!


I have this 1,300+ square feet of house all to myself, and in two years, have yet to find my ideal studio space. A space dedicated solely to appeasing the beast inside. The beast that writes. Draws. Paints. Sculpts. Dreams.


I was on the right track when I had it upstairs; away from the hub-bub of life that lie below... but something was amiss. So almost a year ago, I moved everything downstairs. In the middle of the night, of course. I had a better chance at seeing nature; finding inspiration; or so I thought. But the window of the door was behind me, and the windows in front of me bore a view to the side of the house next door. Needless to say, all my work space does there is collect laundry and mail.


Frustrated and philosophically driven.... I went upstairs and finally acknowledged the literal barrier to my creative freedom. A wall. The room is perfect. The light is perfect. But... I need a larger window so I may enjoy a view of the sky full of stars and snow; the flight of a bird; an angry cloud full of raging lightning.


A window. So simple! I'm going to place a semi-educated guess that my so-desired studio space project will cost at most $500. I need to cut a hole in the house, buy and install a window; build an L-shaped work surface, organize my art supplies, and find a cheery paint color.


Done. At least in my mind it is. And that might mean I can finally go to sleep now...

2 comments:

Anon said...

Glad to see you're still giving sanctuary to your soul in the middle of your newfound business this year!

I'm sure whatever your soul creates upstairs will be as beautiful as everything you see.

And the photo on this post? The most beautiful yet!

Mona Lake said...

I cannot claim to have executed my plan in the slightest. In fact, I haven't even put the last two loads of laundry away...

Thank you for the comment on the photo!