Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid?

After much personal contemplation, and a complete surrender to the constant threats of my married co-workers setting me up... I decided to give dating a conscious effort. Some five weeks after posting my humiliating online dating profile... I have committed to my first date; which takes place this evening around seven.

Out of curiosity and a lack of urgent business to handle at work, I searched "what to wear on a first date." I randomly selected an article that gave some seemingly sound advice until I came across this statement:

"Men have definite feelings about and reactions to make-up, and if your face looks noticeably different, he will become frightened and disoriented."

What?!

Do men really, truly, become frightened and disoriented from the sight of lipgloss? The frosty blue eye shadow of the 70's and Tammy Faye Baker's eyelashes... frighten even me... but reading this makes me a little nervous! I'd hate to think my decision to wear light brown instead of dark brown eye shadow might be the cause of rampant male psychosis.

If I called my ex-boyfriends and asked, "Did you become frightened and disoriented when I wore the pink blush instead of peach? Is that why our relationship fell apart?" I think THAT would be entirely more frightening.

No comments: